lpg dispenser

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimalone

i have old code book 1999 and can't find info.(maybe i'm a dummy)
what class and division is outdoor lpg dispenser
for motor fuel..18" up and within 20'?
thank you

physis

Re: lpg dispenser

I think it's class 1 division 1.

From 2002

500.5(B) Class 1 locations are those in which flamable gases or vapors are or may be present in the air in quantities sufficient to produce explosive or ignitible mixtures.

500.5(B)(1) A class 1 division 1 location is a location

(1) in which ignitible concentrations of flamable gases or vapors can exist under normal operating conditions

Edit: I've never once seen my propane tank filled without a cloud of gas escaping.

Edit: I see, Liquified Petroleum Gas, :eek: I don't how that could get mixed up.

[ February 09, 2005, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

stew

514.1 It is a class 1 group D environment . The division is then determined by the table in 514.3(B)(1) I have installed many of these devices with pumps on the dispenser and all are class 1 group D which is probably one of the most hazardous locations there is with maybe the exception of gunpowder magazines. Be safe. The result of a spark in a concentration of lpg vapor is called a BLEVE in the trade. BIG LOUD VAPOR EXPLOSION!!!

[ February 09, 2005, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: stew ]

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

Good analysis Sam, although you missed 500.5(B)(3) and Jim is right that Table 514.3(B)(2) didn?t appear until 2002; however, the reference to NFPA 58 (the LPG code) was there and the Table is basically an extraction from that Code.

LPG can be nasty stuff. Its a mixture of gases including butane, an easily ignitible gas that drops like a rock, especially when cold, and then spreads out all over the place.

I?d be very careful reviewing any trenches. Ignitable quantities of butane have been known to travel over a thousand feet.

Add: I should have said "...automotive fuel grade LPG is a mixture of gases..."

[ February 09, 2005, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: rbalex ]

Status
Not open for further replies.