Luminaire Supported by Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcorbin

Referring to NEC 2002, 314.23.F, Exception (d):

A luminaire (fixture) supported by a single conduit does not exceed 300mm (12 in.) in any direction from the point of conduit entry.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

I have a client I am doing some high bay fixtures for. Typically, I chain mount the fixture to the structural steel, and cord-and-plug them to a receptacle mounted on the ceiling.

The client sketched me up something he wants that looks like a box on the ceiling, rigid conduit hanging down to what is called a "pendant power box" (option available from Lithonia), upon which the fixture is hung from a very short chain (6", approx). The pendant power box has a receptacle for the fixture to plug into.

Knowing Exception (a) limits the conduit to 36" max length, and Exception (e) limits the fixture and power box to a total of 20 lbs., does Exception (d) mean no part of the luminare can extend outside a 12 inch sphere centered at the junction of the power box and conduit?

While the lighting fixture is not attached to the conduit, it is definitely "supported" by it, so I would figure it would be a violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.