Luminaires installed above a hung ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

barone

Does anyone know which NEC article restricts us from installing lighting above a hung ceiling, if at all? I've seen some crazy stuff out there, and came across something new I have never seen. Without the details, the fixture was installed in violation of it's listing, but I wanted further clarification as to weather or not the fixture could even be in a location like above a hung ceiling, which it is. It's a 2x2 lay-in for grid ceilings screwed to the structure above, with the lens removed and it's bottom edge sit about 6" above the ceiling line, and an acrylic lens is installed into the grid space just below. Not good. I am thinking of recommending the fixture be changed to a single lamp strip fixture, but thought this was also a violation as it would be above the ceiling.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't believe the issue is with the light being installed in the ceiling but rather using a troffer fixture for other than it's listed use. Personally I think the inspector is being a bit tight on this one.

SEO

There may be a problem if the space is used for Environmental Air. The fixture would have to comply with section 300.22 (C) (2).

barone

Thanks

Thanks

Thank you all for your input. The job will be inspected, but the contractor had asked for my opinion before he called, to make sure he was going to pass with this situation. I agree that this install violates the listing of the fixture so it violates 110.3, but I was going to offer an alternate suggestion to use a strip light mounted above the ceiling.

I can vaguely remember a situation in the past when a job failed for having the light fixtures mounted above the hung ceiling, but it may have been an abandonment situation, where the inspector would not allow the contractor to abandon the old lighting system above the ceiling.

This is a new install so it looks like the only violation is per 110.3.

Thanks again to all.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thank you all for your input. The job will be inspected, but the contractor had asked for my opinion before he called, to make sure he was going to pass with this situation. I agree that this install violates the listing of the fixture so it violates 110.3, but I was going to offer an alternate suggestion to use a strip light mounted above the ceiling.

I can vaguely remember a situation in the past when a job failed for having the light fixtures mounted above the hung ceiling, but it may have been an abandonment situation, where the inspector would not allow the contractor to abandon the old lighting system above the ceiling.

This is a new install so it looks like the only violation is per 110.3.

Thanks again to all.

Do you have documentation to prove that this actually violates the listing of the fixture? The prevalent opinion here is that there isn't a violation based on what's been posted.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would think that stripping the old fixtures of ballasts and sockets would render them no longer fixtures for this ruling.

barone

Infinity

Well, the contractor removed the lens from the fixture, then screwed it the the steel framing above through the back of the fixture. The fixture is a lay in grid type troffer. I doubt the fixture listing is maintained without the lens or installed in this way but I will have to check for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.