lutron dimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
I have customer with 15 to 20 1500w lutron dimmers controlling lighting. we are replacing 3 to 4 a year. These dimmers control incandescent lights in chandler for ballroom. I was wondering if you guys know of an alternative to this type of application. unfortunatly these switches ganged 4 to 5 together. I think this creates to much heat and damages switches. All the dimmers that a ganged together 2 or more have this problem. If we switch to led we will need to replace the dimmers also so I am kind of running out of ideas. The only other option is to low wattage on lamps but they continue to put the higher wattage in fixture causing the problem to persist.

JFletcher

It's been too long ago to remember the specifics however, when I did Hotel maintenance, I remember the 1500 or 2000 watt dimmers for the massive three tier, 30 plus bulbs chandeliers had heatsink faceplates, maybe in the size of two gang, and were in their own boxes. The 600 watt dimmers used to control the can lights melted on a regular basis with anything more than 40 watt bulbs in there... Though there were 12 can lights per 600-watt dimmer.

Most of the heat dissipation should take place through the faceplate. Can you put the dimmers in separate boxes?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Most dimmers which use a metal faceplate as a heat sink have breakaway tabs to allow them to be mounted in adjacent slots in multi-gang box. But the instructions then require derating of the dimmer wattage based on the number of tabs removed.
Even if the dimmers you use are not that type, as a practical matter I would not expect full rated capacity from dimmers in adjacent box slots.

cburke1111

Look into Lutrons Power-Boosters. NGRX-PB Power Booster

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0_R3S6uTyYte6wqzkJKwXm
0475ba8cf59a76e74b46e6c19aab6d2f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have never installed a 1500 watt dimmer that was ganged together. IMO it needs its own box and I didn't even think they could be ganged together.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
I have never installed a 1500 watt dimmer that was ganged together. IMO it needs its own box and I didn't even think they could be ganged together.

The are ganged togther using 3-33 cut-in boxes ganged together. This is probably 80 or 90s building so this was pribably an add on later after construction. i thought the same as last two post. They need to be separated at least 6''. right now they are touching each other and in same enclosure thats ganged together.

cburke1111

It's not so much the dimmer you have to worry about as it is the LED bulb.

You have to read the packaging on the LED bulbs to determine what type of dimmer they are compatible with.

For instance, most candelabra LED bulbs require electronic low voltage dimmer.

I always use Lutron dimmers. The following website should help you find an LED bulb and dimmer that are compatible with each other.

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Pages/LEDCompatibilityTool/Compatibility.aspx
Customer is open to using LED lamps but dimmer isnt compatible do you know of any good dimmers for LED for commercial use?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
With that many dimmers, and at the cost of replacing 3-4 a year, the customer would be better off using an architectural dimming panel.

Lutron makes them also, and you could use something like a GrafikEye scene controller to program preset dimming scenes.

Legrand and Leviton also make dimming panels for this. But I think Lutron has one of the better systems for your application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.