Lutron Pico remote controlling two caseta dimmers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two banks of lights (different switch locations) that need to be combined. They also want a new switching location added, and are ok with the existing two locations remaining. Can I put in two lutron casetas and the pico in the new spot, and have it all work as a single zone with three locations?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
AFAIK you can only program the PICO to one master/Casetta. But you could try and put the Casettas both in program mode and use a single PICO to program to them. Might be worth a try, or better yet, call Lutron support.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Even if you can get one Pico to control both Caseta dimmers, I don't think one Caseta can control another Caseta on a different lighting circuit. Which I'm asuming is what the electrofelon wants to do. But as Little Bill mentioned Lutron would have to confirm what's possible.

Also the Pico tells the Caseta to increment the light level up or down but I believe each Caseta stores its own dimming level setting. So even if the Pico can control both Casetas, I believe it's possible one Caseta's dimming level might get out of synch with the other dimmer's level for a variety of reasons that I can think of. If so they might move up or down together but they wouldn't be at the same dimming level which could be objectionable. I think you could still bring both dimmers either all the way up or down using the Pico which would then re-synch the two dimmers to each other. But this could still be a little frustrating.

I think it will work. Found this on the lutron FAQ page:

Can I control more than one dimmer with a Pico remote?
Yes. Pico remotes can control multiple lights, which is helpful if you want to turn on lights from your car or turn off lights from your bedside.

Why is lutron so awesome?

I think it will work. Found this on the lutron FAQ page:

Can I control more than one dimmer with a Pico remote?
Yes. Pico remotes can control multiple lights, which is helpful if you want to turn on lights from your car or turn off lights from your bedside.

Why is lutron so awesome?

Ok it seems they could have provided a more detailed answer. It does appear that, as we thought, the control is only "one way" that is the caseta will not tell the other caseta what to do if you adjust from one of the caseta locations 😞

I guess I could just gang a pico remote with/at each caseta location, but they would have to learn to use the pico and not the caseta. Perhaps another option, a bit mongrel, but stuff the caseta in the box and mount the pico over it.....

nickelec

I have two banks of lights (different switch locations) that need to be combined. They also want a new switching location added, and are ok with the existing two locations remaining. Can I put in two lutron casetas and the pico in the new spot, and have it all work as a single zone with three locations?
I did exactly this in my house I have to sets of cabinets on different walls both withe undr cabinet lighting. I installed two switches one on each wall to control the ucls accordingly. My wife complained that she wanted to hit one switch to turn them on .
And you know what the wife wants the wife gets

So I installed two casetas and have a remote on my island it works perfectly and they are on different ckts
38ba0d5445097d3382bb11d7b2f69873.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I did exactly this in my house I have to sets of cabinets on different walls both withe undr cabinet lighting. I installed two switches one on each wall to control the ucls accordingly. My wife complained that she wanted to hit one switch to turn them on .
And you know what the wife wants the wife gets

So I installed two casetas and have a remote on my island it works perfectly and they are on different ckts
38ba0d5445097d3382bb11d7b2f69873.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

But you can't control them both from the caseta locations?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
They don't make a "faceless" caseta dimmer that you can mount a pico in front of? Seems like an obvious product opportunity. And one reason I'm thinking of using Insteon dimmer keypads.

Cheers, Wayne

They don't make a "faceless" caseta dimmer that you can mount a pico in front of? Seems like an obvious product opportunity. And one reason I'm thinking of using Insteon dimmer keypads.

Cheers, Wayne

Yeah it does seem odd they don't make it. Better yet, a module that could also go in any box (think light fixture with no switch or switch not in desired spot).

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Don't know if it would help in the OP's case, but I have installed a Casetta (Lutron RF switch, which is the same) in an attic, closet, & behind a door then put the PICO where it was wanted. This just saved me from running wires in almost impossible places.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Yeah it does seem odd they don't make it. Better yet, a module that could also go in any box (think light fixture with no switch or switch not in desired spot).

You can do this in RA2 and RA2 Select.

RA2 Select is compatible with power pack relays, dimmers, and 0-10v dimmers that mount at the fixture box or junction box somewhere. You can also use motion sensors and the wireless thermostat. Also you can use the engraved Pico remotes to identify scenes or fixtures.

RA2 has all of that plus SeeTouch keypads, Grafik Eye and Grafik T dimmers. And some additional sensors for HVAC.

RA2 & Select also come in satin finishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Lutron does not want to give too many options for Caseta. They only offer it to grab some sales in the budget market. They want people using HomeWorks or RA2.

With Caseta or Select you can hide a switch somewhere and just use Pico's. With RA2 you can use a Hybrid keypad in place of a switch.

Diy lutron

Occupation
Former electrician and programmer
Ya ive programmed 2 plug in dimming modules to the same pico.. should be up to 10 pico/sensor per switch (this is all if not using a hub)
There are 9 variations of picos and how they are programmed to function

Theres a few really cool picos, 1 can do two separate groups from the same remote, another has 3 favorite memory buttons and an off

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Ya ive programmed 2 plug in dimming modules to the same pico..
I've done that, too.

About half my under cabinet lighting is set up with a hot plug, lamp dimmer with dimmable driver, and pico remote.

Had a kitchen remodel with a pantry cabinet that got changed to base/upper cabinet right before my finish. So I had an upper cabinet with no UCL.

Fortunately I had my UCLs set up as previously described, because I could not get another lovo wire added to the new cabinet (finished basement and second floor prevented it)

fwiw, both lamp dimmers still operated independently when I reached in the cabinet and pushed the buttons

I was, however, able to add a receptacle in the lower cabinet, added another lamp dimmer and driver, and paired to the same pico I already had planned.

Diy lutron

Occupation
Former electrician and programmer
I've done that, too.

About half my under cabinet lighting is set up with a hot plug, lamp dimmer with dimmable driver, and pico remote.

Had a kitchen remodel with a pantry cabinet that got changed to base/upper cabinet right before my finish. So I had an upper cabinet with no UCL.

Fortunately I had my UCLs set up as previously described, because I could not get another lovo wire added to the new cabinet (finished basement and second floor prevented it)

fwiw, both lamp dimmers still operated independently when I reached in the cabinet and pushed the buttons

I was, however, able to add a receptacle in the lower cabinet, added another lamp dimmer and driver, and paired to the same pico I already had planned.
Right ya thats whats nice about caseta, its very versatile when you need it to be and it has the reliability to back it up..

Status
Not open for further replies.