Lutron smart dimmer and Tech transformer - incompatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

I have a customer with three 600W 24V Tech brand surface mounted transformers with three Lutron magnetic low-voltage 1000W smart dimmers controlling them. I've been working with the guy who programmed the Lutron system to figure out why the switches don't always turn the lights on. Sometimes there might be a success rate of 9/10 times, or it could be as low as 3/10 times. It doesn't matter whether you turn the switches on from a keypad or at the switch itself - either way it can go into a strange mode where the indicator lights on the switch start flashing and the switch won't turn the lights on.

Long story short, we changed the scene setting to 100% to see if it would help, and sure enough once we did that the lights came on consistently for the next few dozen tries. The homeowner isn't real happy though that his system isn't working as promised and that he can't set a scene with those lights dimmed down on start up.

The Tech transformers are torroidal surface mount types, and their tech assistance is telling me it's an incompatibility with the dimmer switches. That sounds like BS to me.

Has anyone experienced this kind of problem before, and if so, what was your solution? I suspect it has something to do with the torroidal transformer but I could be wrong.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.