Lutron Subpanel Draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vines

In designing Tesla Powerwall battery backup systems I consistently see Lutron Lighting panels, and as a PV guy I don't know much about them or what they draw. When sizing Powerwall systems, we like to know as much as possible about the loads we are backing up.

I am specifically looking to understand approximately what is the continuous draw from a Lutron subpanel excluding the actual fixture current due to illumination.

Any guidance from more experienced people would be excellent.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
In designing Tesla Powerwall battery backup systems I consistently see Lutron Lighting panels, and as a PV guy I don't know much about them or what they draw. When sizing Powerwall systems, we like to know as much as possible about the loads we are backing up.

I am specifically looking to understand approximately what is the continuous draw from a Lutron subpanel excluding the actual fixture current due to illumination.

I don't know if I understand your question or not. A Lutron subpanel could just be a lighting panel with nothing more than what a regular panel would have. There would be no current draw other than the lighting load.
Now having said that, there are some larger commercial/industrial panels that have cooling fans, processors, and maybe task lights. We would need to know exactly the panel you are talking about.

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer

you need to find out exactly which lutron panel (part #) is being backed-up and request the information from the manufacturer or find a data sheet that tells you. they can have any number of zone cards or other electronics that may or may not have a current draw you need to be concerned with.

Vines

you need to find out exactly which lutron panel (part #) is being backed-up and request the information from the manufacturer or find a data sheet that tells you. they can have any number of zone cards or other electronics that may or may not have a current draw you need to be concerned with.

I assumed it was that way, and unfortunately when we are designing these battery backup systems, the GC and electrical contractor often don't quite know exactly what they are installing until further down the road.

Therefore, we are left with guessing on the front side and making some assumptions, then rechecking them once the final electrical is installed.

In my mind I thought that a "Lutron Subpanel" was like a regular Subpanel but with some number of the lighting circuits using a continuous draw to energize the lighting controls (dimmers, motion photo sensors ect) throughout the home. Looks like I need to be more specific to get good specific information.

The homes we are talking about are large custom homes in the Bay Area, so often are loaded with tech. Here is an example of one wall of one of the electrical rooms in a typical large home installation. Its always a struggle to accurately calculate what is the homes baseline load when on backup, so I'm doing research for the next big one.
IMG_7002.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.