LV light suitable for class2 wiring behind walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I just ran into these lights. They look very interesting. They are LED- suitable for wet location indoor or outdoor and can be wire with a class 2 cable and still be buried behind the walls. They can be used in concrete, etc and most important they are UL listed.

Here is the cable.

NSL_Copyrighted_Image_ledmd_CL2.jpg

LW-18G-CL2

http://www.nslusa.com/images/NSL_Copyrighted_Image_ledmd_CL2.jpg This is the light

NSL_Copyrighted_Image_ledmd_minischeme.gif

Here is the web page

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I see see that the lights themselves are listed, but it doesn't say it is a listed "system" as required by 411.3.
Don

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
don_resqcapt19 said:
I see see that the lights themselves are listed, but it doesn't say it is a listed "system" as required by 411.3.
Don

I have never seen anything that was a listed system. How would that be listed as a system? Would each part need to say listed system??

If all the parts are listed does that not make the system listed?

gndrod

Dennis Alwon said:
The web page will tell you that info-- National specialty lighting -- NSL

Dennis,

This manufacturer is dodging the illuminance factor for determining how well the led & optics throw out illuminance. The footcandle figure is bogus because there is no surface reflectance factors shown. An example, put that grid on a black carpet and those figures mean nothing.

What needs to be divulged is the outputs in candelas or lumens from a distant source. A lumens per watt figure would have helped and with a directional optic magnification, at least a statement in milli-candellas would help. The beam spreads shown on the grid are also in question due to LED's are directional to mostly a 40 deg angle and the beam spread on the grid is somewhat off.

Looks nice though. rbj

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
gndrod said:
This manufacturer is dodging the illuminance factor for determining how well the led & optics throw out illuminance. The footcandle figure is bogus because there is no surface reflectance factors shown. ....
Looks nice though. rbj

I aoppreciate the info and I passed it on to the designer. Thanks

DUCKMAN

Dennis Alwon said:
I just ran into these lights. They look very interesting. They are LED- suitable for wet location indoor or outdoor and can be wire with a class 2 cable and still be buried behind the walls. They can be used in concrete, etc and most important they are UL listed.

Here is the cable.

NSL_Copyrighted_Image_ledmd_CL2.jpg

LW-18G-CL2

http://www.nslusa.com/images/NSL_Copyrighted_Image_ledmd_CL2.jpg This is the light

NSL_Copyrighted_Image_ledmd_minischeme.gif

Here is the web page

Thanks for the info. I am lloking for some low power lighting for a log cabin that is off the grid. I will be running a solar/wind hybrid, and need to be very frugal with my power. These might just be the ticket.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Dennis,
If all the parts are listed does that not make the system listed?
A listed system is a system that is submitted to UL or other testing lab for evaluation as a complete system. The field combining of listed parts does not result is a listed system.
Don

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
don_resqcapt19 said:
Dennis,

A listed system is a system that is submitted to UL or other testing lab for evaluation as a complete system. The field combining of listed parts does not result is a listed system.
Don

I really doubt it is field combining of parts. I looked at many systems online for low voltage tracks, monorail, etc. I have yet to see a statement that says it is a listed system. How would one find out. LBL lighting monorails have been around quite awhile and their website does not say listed system but their catalog does have the info. Maybe I need to search some more.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Dennis,
I don't know if there are any listed low voltage lighting systems on the market. A couple of years ago, I was told that there was not. I don't know it that has changed.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Dennis,
It looks like I am incorrect on this issue. Take a look at the UL white book information for Landscape Lighting Systems, Low Voltage (IFDH), Low-voltage Lighting Systems, Power Units, Luminaires and Fittings (IFDR), Luminaire Fittings (IFFX), and Portable Cabinet Luminaires (QOVJ). According to UL, one or more of the products listed under these 4 catagories are covered by Article 411. You can view the White Book information here by typing in the catagory code in the top box and hitting the search button. If you don't check the "display guide information box" you will get a list of all of the manufactures who make a product that is listed under that catagory along with the guide information. If you check the box, you will only get the guide information.
Don

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Dennis,
I must have not been the only one that was reading the 2005 code as requiring the use of listed systems. A code change to 411.3 for the 2008 code now clearly lets you make up a system of listed parts.
Don

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Don

I really appreciate the effort you put into this. I was going to call the company today but like usual I forgot. Getting old stinks. Thanks again and I am glad these lights are not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.