LV wiring and devices allowed in boiler room?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently had a customer in NYC with his furnace and hot water heaters enclosed in a special concrete-block room in the basement with a self-closing fire-rated steel door. Somebody also had the idea to hang the phone system on a wall in that room, with numerous non-firestopped penetrations of I what I assume are fire-rated walls/ceilings for the phone cables. Is this a violation of code, as well as sanity (because who would want to work in such a warm, stuffy place)?

mdshunk

Not knowing any of the specifics of the NYC code, I can't think of any other codes in general that would prohibit a phone in a boiler room. As long as the penetrations are properly fire stopped, that is. I can see how a phone might be handy for building maintenance man paging, and for possibly being on the phone with tech support while troubleshooting a boiler control. Whatever they want, I always say. I think you can figure out a way to make this install legal, which seems like it might be as simple as firestopping the cable or conduit penetration.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I think he is talking about installing the system KSU in the boiler room, not a phone. Other than not knowing what NYC code says about this I certainly would not locate a system in an area with high ambient temperatures.

Certainly the lack of firestopping is a concern but the NEC has nothing to say on this other than about following manufacturers instructions for installation. Every system I have ever installed has an operating temperature range which should be observed if you want to give the system a reasonable life expectancy.

-Hal

mdshunk

hbiss said:
I think he is talking about installing the system KSU in the boiler room, not a phone.

Ah... yes. He did say:
Jerry the Phone Guy said:
Somebody also had the idea to hang the phone system on a wall in that room.
Yeah, real dumb idea to hang a high-dollar piece of equipment like that in a boiler room. Probably compliant, but industrial-strength stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.