LVolt undercabinet lighting ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave81

We roughed out a kitchen for a remodel job to have undercabinet LV JUNO TRACK 12 system which is a 12 volt system with a remotely placed transformer 120 to 12 volt transformer. The JUNO tech dept recommends that you feed this system on the low volt side with solid #12 wire. So we ran like we usually do in every other area 12-2 romex to feed the track. Well the inspector decided that this was unsatisfactory and he wanted this wire to be sleeved with greenfield or flexible metallic tubing. My question is does he have good ground to stand on with that decision because after all its only 12v on that wire and what code reference would back his decision or mine in saying I think that its fine. Thanks for any help.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: LVolt undercabinet lighting ?

Well, is it surface or concealed?

It should be protected if exposed, but if concealed, I don't see where he's coming from.

dave81

Is there a section in the code where AHJ has control over what I can do with a 12v system that isn't even needed per code? Is there any section on 12V systems? Thanks for any help on this....I can't seem to find it. I will ask him for a reference but I'd like to have all the facts first so I have a rebutle.

msd

411.4 Locations Not Permitted.
Lighting systems operating at 30 volts or less shall not be installed in the locations described in 411.4(A) and 411.4(B).
(A) Where concealed or extended through a building wall unless permitted in (1) or (2):
(1) Installed using any of the wiring methods specified in Chapter 3
(2) Installed using wiring supplied by a listed Class 2 power source and installed in accordance with 725.52

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

So. . .

From 411.4(A)(1), the wiring method is from Article 334, NonMetallic Sheathed Cable. That leads to 300.4(B)(2).

dave81

So does article 300.4 (b)(2) apply when using the romex for a 12v system?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Seems to me that Article 334 is about the cable, not the voltage on the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.