M12 and other connectors in Class 2 locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ Martin

Occupation
Engineer
NEC allows for the use of "dustight flexible connectors" in Class 2 locations. I'm used to devices and fittings being listed for such service. I'm not familiar with any manufacturer advertising that their connectors are UL listed for Class 2 locations. However, many of them do advertise as having IP ratings of 68, which certainly is dusttight from a practical standpoint. Does anyone have any experience using M12 or other style connectors in class 2 locations? If so, what code verbiage or manufacturer certifications are you referencing to demonstrate code compliance? Or, are these just not usable in class 2 locations? I've never seen them or allowed them to be used in the past, but have an OEM that wants to. Just curious what others out there are doing. TIA.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Technically, IP ratings are not recognized by the NEC. (See Table 110.28 IN No.2.) That said, depending on how much you are willing to stick your neck out, consider Section 500.8(A)(3).

You are new here so you might as well get my standard spiel. If you are going to be an engineer in the HAZLOC field, you should use proper terminology. "Class" designators use Roman numerals.

Russ Martin

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the reply. I'm well versed in Class 1 locations and have some experience in class 2, but never had someone try to install with this method. 500.8(A)(3) looks like it may be the exception most applicable, but I'm leaving it to the owner to take up with the AHJ as the install isn't our design or responsibility. I've never been much of a stickler on terminology. In class 1 locations I've had non-technical owners confuse it and read it to mean class I (as in eye) and that just leads to me having to correct them. I'll try to be more formal given the audience here is technical. :) Appreciate the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.