mA reading polarity

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
I recently noticed that one of my multimeters (a rather inexpensive Klein MM400) gives a reading of about 1/2 what it should be if I take a mA reading with the test probes connected opposite of what the polarity should be. Has anyone experienced this? It may have done it out of the box; I've only had it a few months. I might contact Klein and see if it's an issue.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
How does one get "polarity" for a device that is supposed to be connected in series? In other words if you are connecting to + and - when trying to read a mA signal, you are not doing it right.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
How does one get "polarity" for a device that is supposed to be connected in series? In other words if you are connecting to + and - when trying to read a mA signal, you are not doing it right.

Well, in theory, if you jump across the L in the L across an I source from the text book, it will stay magnetic indefinitely like an MRI magnet.
It was a current source and an inductance, not a current source, a resistor and a reactance in series, right?

In reality, strange asymmetric behaviors are not uncommon in test equipment.

Electromatic, how many mA are you talking about and what's the full scale mA rating? (i.e. 500mA)

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I recently noticed that one of my multimeters (a rather inexpensive Klein MM400) gives a reading of about 1/2 what it should be if I take a mA reading with the test probes connected opposite of what the polarity should be.
If you are connecting the meter IN SERIES with a DC circuit there is actually a polarity but it really doesn't matter. One way you will get a (-) in front of the reading, flip the leads and you will now get a (+) in front of the reading. It's only the reading that counts and both ways should be the same numerical value. Most people don't even bother to pay attention to polarity when measuring DC current.

So, I suggest that to get the readings you say you are, you don't have the meter connected properly. I don't know what you are doing, but you NEVER apply voltage to the current jacks. They ALWAYS go in series with a load.

...Or there is some problem with the meter.

-Hal

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
The meter is capable of 10A via COM and 10A jacks or 500mA via COM and multi-setting jacks. When I connect in series with the red probe toward DC+ and the black probe (COM) toward DC-, the readings are correct. If I swap the orientation of the probes, the readings end up being slightly less than 1/2 of the true current. I do get the appropriate negative (-) symbol when reversed. (see attached)
I think I'll contact Klein about the issue. I got the meter off Amazon--I'm curious if that will complicate their warranty.

Attachments

• mA ckt2.pdf
    84.9 KB · Views: 15

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
What sort of current are we talking about? Briefly skimming the manual for that meter, it can do auto or manual range.
If the spec is 1% + 5 count, that means if you're in 500.0mA range that reads to the smallest 0.1mA and you're trying to measure 0.2mA, it's allowed an error of 0.5mA + 1%. If it reads anything from -0.5mA to +0.5mA with NOTHIGN connected, it's still technically within specs.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
When I connect in series with the red probe toward DC+ and the black probe (COM) toward DC-, the readings are correct. If I swap the orientation of the probes, the readings end up being slightly less than 1/2 of the true current. I do get the appropriate negative (-) symbol when reversed. (see attached)
I think I'll contact Klein about the issue. I got the meter off Amazon--I'm curious if that will complicate their warranty.
Fair enough. Looks like a bad meter to me.

-Hal