machine saftey

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerryc

I have been working in the Electrical field for 24 years and have a background in food manufactoring. I am currenlty working as a plant electrician (the only one in the plant) and have been questioned if i have the authority to lock out an unsafe machine instead of letting it run product. As the licensed electrician I feel I do have the authority to do this, please advise on how to let my boss know this is true, he is not knowledgable in the electical field. He feels he can overstep me to run product in an unsafe machine.

mdshunk

Yeah, welcome to manufacturing. I think this was the main reason I no longer work as a factory electrician. Production trumps all else.

quogueelectric

Keep good notes as to who you talked to and at what time and write this in a personal diary (composition book no loose pages) as notes made on the job are the property of your boss. Lock it out tag it out to work on it and if he wants to defeat your tags just keep good notes so when someone gets fried you can show the court you did your job properly and he overrode it.
if he fires you for this you then have the lawsuit instead of a dead guy it is win win for you try to get witnesses.

Last edited:

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
I guess it depends on who you work for. I have that authority and I have prevented equipment from being run because I have the backing of the Plant Manager and Health Safety Management at our corporate offices. If I did not have that support I would be out on a limb. If you don't have the support of the people in charge then the best you can do is ensure that everyone knows that you object to the equipment being run and your reasons why. At that point it is up to management and the machine operators.

billsnuff

jerryc

jerryc

as a maintenance manager in a similar business, don't just tell me the machine isn't safe to run. if you are the only elec in the plant, tell me what is wrong, what the hazard(s) is, the availability of parts and how long till it is safe to operate. i have an obligation to keep my personnel safe and an obligation to meet customer expectations and an obligation to turn a profit. i need your help to make the best decision for all concerned. otherwise i'm just another dumb manager...........good luck. :cool:

billsnuff said:
as a maintenance manager in a similar business, don't just tell me the machine isn't safe to run. if you are the only elec in the plant, tell me what is wrong, what the hazard(s) is, the availability of parts and how long till it is safe to operate. i have an obligation to keep my personnel safe and an obligation to meet customer expectations and an obligation to turn a profit. i need your help to make the best decision for all concerned. otherwise i'm just another dumb manager...........good luck. :cool:

Proactive
Saying it is unsafe is all good and well, helping others to help you is the most effective way of making it happen.

cornbread

I feel your pain. At one time I worked for a Japanese outfit. The majority of the machines they sent to the U.S. did not meet safety standards. I had a heated argument with our plant manager that a string of photo eyes was not the same as a light curtain. I went to our HR manager and got the backing to do the right thing. The plant manager was sent back to Japan and his replacement let me implement any safety inprovements necessary.

Good luck.

safetyva

Authorized employees

Authorized employees

I don't know if this will help you any with your boss, but OSHA stds say that a person who is authorized by their employer to perform maintenance or repairs on equipment also is authorized to lock it out. Take away one, and you take away the other. Applies to all types of work, electrical, mechanical, etc.

1910.147(b): Definitions applicable to this section.

Authorized employee. A person who locks out or tags out machines or equipment in order to perform servicing or maintenance on that machine or equipment.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
jerryc said:
I have been working in the Electrical field for 24 years and have a background in food manufactoring. I am currenlty working as a plant electrician (the only one in the plant) and have been questioned if i have the authority to lock out an unsafe machine instead of letting it run product. As the licensed electrician I feel I do have the authority to do this, please advise on how to let my boss know this is true, he is not knowledgable in the electical field. He feels he can overstep me to run product in an unsafe machine.
I often hear similar statements from plant maintenance personnel but when it comes to specifics, often what they cite as safety hazards are things that are unlikely to harm a human being but may well damage the machine. OSHA does not care if the machine gets damaged.

I would want to hear specifically why you think a machine is electrically unsafe before coming to a conclusion about your dilemma. It is rare that strictly electrical issues would make a machine truly unsafe to operate.

jerryc

While I was making saftey checks on the machine I received a shock due to deteriorating wiring and conduit filled with water, that is when I locked the machine out. I was willing to make the fixes that same time before production started but my boss took me off and had one of the mechanics take over because he was disatisfied with my decision.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
jerryc said:
While I was making saftey checks on the machine I received a shock due to deteriorating wiring and conduit filled with water, that is when I locked the machine out. I was willing to make the fixes that same time before production started but my boss took me off and had one of the mechanics take over because he was disatisfied with my decision.

That would seem to qualify as a legitimate safety hazard to the operator. I have a hard time understanding why any responsible person would ignore such a hazard, especially when it can be repaired easily.

realolman

Quite some time ago I stopped asking if I should do this or that.

I figured that I knew what was going on, and if it needed fixed I would fix it. I also figured if someone didn't like that, they would let me know. If I want to shut something down, I shut it down, lock it out, and tag it. I have never had anyone complain or question me about it.

Now then, on the other hand... you do have to use your head for something besides a hat rack. As BillSnuff said, there is an obligation to make some production. That is what everybody's there for, and what pays the bills. Your bosses need to know that you are cognizant of that .

You need to be experienced and familiar with the process, and how what you're doing affects other phases of production, which it almost always does... If what you're doing is in a vital area, or an area that is not so urgent.

I hear a lot of stuff blamed on water, that I don't know if that's what it really is or not... How long does it take to blow an air hose through whatever it is? Does this thing have an EGC?

If something that people need to use and touch, is shocking them, I'm shuttin' it off and locking it out. I can't imagine anyone giving me any static about it.... but I'm also pretty much elbows and butt holes getting it fixed, and running again.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't know the conduit configuration for this specific machine but it is usually pretty easy to figure out where to put drains in to get rid of water that might build up.

I have even seen where holes have been drilled in conduit to drain out water. Maybe not code, but it works and does not really harm anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.