Madison Clips on Plastic Boxes

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A fellow electrician saw a TikTok (or some other platform) video where they repaired a loose plastic receptacle box with a metal Madison Clip. He asked me if this was code compliant. I said no because the metal clip is not connected to anything that is grounded (like when used with metal box) and could become energized. The next question was what code section would an inspector cite. Hmmm good one.

Any thoughts?

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
I've done that several times. Never worried about it either. It seems to me that plastic boxes are wider than the metal cut in boxes.
Plus, I tape around the receptacle. I know the next person might not.
That said, I haven't ever taken the plate off to see what the EC did.
I don't know what code an inspector could cite.

Ron

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
What if they become energized? Unless the plate was off, you wouldn't be touching the clips.
Does the code say 'ever energized' or is some more specific adverb such as 'likely energized', 'probably energized', 'possibly energized', 'might be energized', or 'potentially energized'?
When choosing the appropriate adverb, I like to use buying lottery tickets as an example. While it is possible I might win, it is not probably or likely.

However, i feel their use is subjective. Being installed flat against the sides of the box so they do not contact the wiring at all is different than when they flair out and insulated conductors are touching them.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Does the code say 'ever energized' or is some more specific adverb such as 'likely energized', 'probably energized', 'possibly energized', 'might be energized', or 'potentially energized'?
When choosing the appropriate adverb, I like to use buying lottery tickets as an example. While it is possible I might win, it is not probably or likely.

However, i feel their use is subjective. Being installed flat against the sides of the box so they do not contact the wiring at all is different than when they flair out and insulated conductors are touching them.
It says "likely to become energized". I don't think the clips are "likely to become energized". They "possibly" could, but not "likely".

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
I would consider the listing.
They may not listed to be used for a non metal box .

I would still use them maybe slid a piece of sheath over the bend straps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241012-145002~3.png
    Screenshot_20241012-145002~3.png
    282.2 KB · Views: 10

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I would consider the listing.
They may not listed to be used for a non metal box .

I would still use them maybe slid a piece of sheath over the bend straps.
I always used my needle nose pliers to close up the wings against the box. Unless you install the receptacle way left or way right it's not going to touch the straps.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
does compressing them to a metal box creat a good bond.
If hot sides barely touched there correspond screws of the terminal. I could see some heating up with a metal box.
PVC nothing would happen.