magnetic interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

How sensitive to magnetic interference are telephone, and coaxial cable from AC90 armoured cable? I realize some equipement are more sensitive than others, and would like to hear some experiences on how this scenario have possibly caused problems with the equipment. I've been told that the armour of the bx cable shields the cable... and know that we are supposed to keep the cables separated, but in some cases it's not possible for short distances, and to save time on strapping, have seen power cables tied to communications piping. Love to hear your thoughts... Thanks in advance

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: magnetic interference

I've never had a problem even when they are run together with armored or even Romex for considerable distances.

Armored cable is better at keeping noise in, not just because of the armor, but because the conductors are twisted. NM is naturally worse, but unless there is real noise on the power it usually won't cause a problem with LV lines in proximity.

It's not good to press your luck though, keep them separated whenever you can. Also avoid running them over or close to fixtures with ballasts or operated by dimmers.

Status
Not open for further replies.