Main breaker tenant space MLO or main breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have in one story building multi tenant space main electric room where incoming utility service comes into main service breaker. Load side of the main service breaker feeds trough which taps fused disconnect which then feed individual tenant space.

Tenant space A is the furthest from main electric room both on opposite corners. Tenant space A fused disco in main electric room feeds the panelboard A located in tenant space A.

Does the code require tenant panelboard A to be MLO or has to have main breaker?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Basically the same question you asked here:

and, surprisingly, the same answer applies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Basically the same question you asked here:

and, surprisingly, the same answer applies.

No not really I have feeder taps in the main electric room which feed tenant fused disco. Please don’t close the thread it’s not the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Irrelevant.
Feeder taps to a disconnect and then to a tenant panel or feeder from a service disconnect to a tenant panel.
Either way you have a subpanel fed by a feeder from a disconnecting means and no main is required.
a panelboard shall be protected by an overcur‐ rent protective device having a rating not greater than that of the panelboard. This overcurrent protective device shall be located within or at any point on the supply side of the panel‐ board.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I had an inspector try to turn me down for that, all other spaces where MLO. Apparently the regular inspector was on vacation. This was the last space we did, and it was very small, it only had 5 breakers in the panel, I told him I was using the six switch rule (total bs, LOL!) so he passed it. As he was signing off the permit, he said he was wiring his own house, and wanted to know what wire to use for switched receptacles.............

Status
Not open for further replies.