Main breaker trips, Or appliances turn on by themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tesi1

iam not shure about the main breaker most all of the newer appliances have wi-fi built into the controls like it or not.
they could be actvated from your cell phone and or other outside signals.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
While this does sound like a joke, I have noticed people not explain symptoms correctly before, maybe what he is explaining as “all the appliances coming on at once” is simply power blinking off and back on. Causing the appliances to beep and seem like they are turning on, because they are coming back on from an outage, a very brief outage.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
While this does sound like a joke, I have noticed people not explain symptoms correctly before, maybe what he is explaining as “all the appliances coming on at once” is simply power blinking off and back on. Causing the appliances to beep and seem like they are turning on, because they are coming back on from an outage, a very brief outage.
Plausible.

kwired

Electron manager
I've had many times were a customer tries to describe what is going on but I am seeing a different picture than what they are trying to paint. Not everyone can describe what is going on in a way others will understand. Sometimes it is just differences in understanding of what is even possible and what they think they see or hear is what they describe as what is going on.

Had countless times of people plugging/unplugging something under load and think that spark made when contact is made/broken as being something pretty serious and that something is wrong somewhere and it is hard to convince them that is normal.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
As I've always said, never take the customer's word for anything. Always verify it yourself.

-Hal
TRUE THAT!!!
I would always ask what the last thing the homeowner touched or worked on and the answer was always “nothing, I haven’t done anything”. Then as I narrowed it down to one item, “oh ya, I did replace that receptacle just before everything went wrong”.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Diagnosis of this is going to require detailed information, ideally from someone experienced with electrical work on site during the problem.

The OP is not an electrician, but lists their occupation as industrial maintenance, so I'd consider them clued in. It sounds like there is a professional electrician involved as well. It would be great if the electrician could be part of this conversation.

Which appliances are turning themselves on?

What is the total draw of these appliances relative to the breaker capacity?

Does the house have a number of high draw appliances which normally start at different times (eg a well pump, large central AC, other motors)?

Do these appliances have remote control capabilities (WiFi, apps, remote thermostats, ...)?

What is the order of events? Does the breaker trip first or do the appliances come on first, or does it vary?

What is the model of thermostat that turned itself to 99?

Is there any monitoring? (Electrical system, cameras, people?)

Do the events happen when the OP is present, or do they occur and are then later discovered by the OP?

Jon

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The OP hasn't been back since Thursday so we will close the thread. Although I don't think it's the case it has the resemblance of this troll thread

Status
Not open for further replies.