Main lug or main breaker ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm just looking for an opinion here. I've been installing whole house generator ATS's and, as luck would have it, I have one installation where the lugs in the existing main breaker panel are so corroded that I can't get the feeders out. Even if I could I wouldn't want to install the new feeders back into it for fear I'd either snap off a lug or it wouldn't tighten down. So, I have to replace the panel. My question is, should I re-install a new main breaker panel (separating the grounds and floating the neutrals is understood), or should I use a main lug panel ?

Here's my thinking......There are often times when a homeowner, tradesman or even the fire dept (in an emergency situation) wants to shut down the service at the main breaker. If I use a main lug panel after the ATS and if the main breaker is shut in the ATS, the generator would kick on. So, that would mean they would also have to also shut off the generator. On the other hand, if I re-install a main breaker panel they could shut off that main breaker and would be assured that none of the branch circuits would become energized even if a power failure occurred in the interim.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jerseydaze

I ran into the same thing Im replacing the main breaker.As far as ML vs MB if you think about im sure youve had to put an outdoor main in because of location of the indoor panel Id go main lug its not that odd fire and police should know that a main is outside sometimes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well we know that the generator is not pat of the structure so the building would need a main or use the 6 disco rule unless the transfer switch has a main and is service rated. I would use a main lug however there are times that the main breaker panel is about the same cost as a main lug panel. In that case I use a main breaker panel. I think the fireman know how to deal with generators so it is not a big issue.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I ran into the same thing Im replacing the main breaker.
I would have done that but this is a 1st generation Murry panel. I think it was put in when Edison was alive.
As far as ML vs MB if you think about im sure youve had to put an outdoor main in because of location of the indoor panel Id go main lug its not that odd fire and police should know that a main is outside sometimes.
That's exactly the situation I have. I was just thinking as a matter of convenience it would be nice to be able to shut the inside main without having to go outside and shut that main and the generator.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well we know that the generator is not pat of the structure so the building would need a main or use the 6 disco rule unless the transfer switch has a main and is service rated. I would use a main lug however there are times that the main breaker panel is about the same cost as a main lug panel. In that case I use a main breaker panel. I think the fireman know how to deal with generators so it is not a big issue.
Yes Dennis, the ATS does have a service rated breaker in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.