Main OCPD with PDB. First protection branch circuit OCPD ??

milmat1

"It Can't Do That !"
Occupation
Controls Engineer
Something that has always bothered me ! Look at attached example.
Lets say you have incoming 480 100A service to the control cabinet. It is terminated to the fused disconnect, we'll say fuses are 100A. Then wires go to a power distribution block because the disconnect has only one port per phase for terminations. And you must feed multiple branch circuits.

From the PDB wiring splits up to the different circuits such as motor circuits, controls etc. Which are all smaller conductors. These smaller conductors are still only protected by the 100A main fuses until they reach the first branch circuit protection device.
In all the years I have been around, I have never found or seen a good solution to this, and I see it in every MCC / control cabinet. And it has always really bugged me..

Thoughts, Have you ever seen and wondered about this ? What is the solution ?

Attachments

• demo-E1.pdf
    98.5 KB · Views: 8

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Have you ever seen and wondered about this ?
NEC 240.21 would allow #14cu from 150A OCP, for taps not over 10ft.

A #8cu tap from 100A OCP, is allowed up to 25ft.

Outside taps have no restrictions on length, or size.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If it does not leave the enclosure do the tap rules even apply? I don't recall but I do know on some occasions I have made the conductors coming off the pdb larger so it is within the allowed conductor ampacity range. Or at least I showed it that way on the drawings. Who knows how it got wired up. Maybe some leftover telephone cable. :)