main panel grounded and grounding conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

run4amps

where is it listed in the 2008 code, to physically separate grounded and grounding conductors terminated at the neutral bar of the main panel?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I would think you are referring to 408.40 which states in part:
Equipment grounding conductors shall not be connected to a terminal bar provided for grounded conductors or neutral conductors unless the bar is identified for the purpose and is located where interconnection between equipment grounding conductors and grounded circuit conductors is permitted or required by Article 250.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Maybe you are looking for this code section:
408.41 Grounded Conductor Terminations.
Each grounded conductor shall terminate within the panelboard in an individual terminal that is not also used for another conductor.

run4amps

are you stating that an equipment grounding bar is now required in the main panel for all equipment grounding conductors?

iwire

Staff member
Not exactly, at a service panel you could use the same bar for the grounded and grounding conductors but the grounding conductors can not share a single terminal with a grounded conductor.

run4amps

do the grounded and grounding conductors need to be physically isolated, meaning-- neutrals on one side and grounds on the other side?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
do the grounded and grounding conductors need to be physically isolated, meaning-- neutrals on one side and grounds on the other side?
No..in the enclosure that contains the service disconnect the neutrals and grounds can land on the same bar, but just not under the same screw.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Correct me if I'm wrong but on larger panels and switchboards where there is a "neutral link" to satisfy 230.75, would one not need to be careful to follow the section I posted so as to keep the grounding system intact if that link were opened ?
For "everyday" loadcenters and panelboards I don't see the problem, but the OP did not state what system he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.