Main Panel Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

timbotyson

New User
Occupation
teacher
I am a do-it-yourselfer. I can hear the aaarggghhhhs already. I am installing brand new 60 amp service on vacant land. I installed the meter can and following the utility company's directions I grounded the can (rather than the main panel) using #4 solid copper to two ground rods spaced a little over 6' apart.

I then connected my main panel to the meter and also bonded the ground and neutral bars in the main panel using the green screw provided. The main panel is located only a few inches from the meter can.

This setup was inspected and passes and the utility company has already connected power to the meter. My understanding is that the main panel is essentially grounded by way of the neutral wire running between the main panel and the meter can, and therefore I do not need a separate ground going from the main panel to their own set of ground rods. Is this correct?

Now for my main question. I am going to install a sub panel on a small building (30 amp service) located about 50 feet from the meter can / main panel setup. I know that I need to keep the neutral and ground bars isolated in this panel. Do I need to run a separate ground wire from this subpanel to its own set of ground rods? Or is it sufficient to just run a ground wire from the main panel to the sub panel's ground bar?

Thank you.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
No "aaarggghhhhs" needed.

I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended for use by electricians and electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and vendors with their job-related duties. We are not allowed to provide how-to advice to persons who are not employed in this industry, or persons who do not perform electrical installation or maintenance as part of their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.