Main panel where the service entrance comes in from the bottom right side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

esp47

Occupation
Technician
Hey guys new to the forum and main panel installation so I apologize in advance if my verbiage is way off.

House has an old 125A Zinsco panel that I'm changing out for a new 125A. The 1 1/2" conduit feeding the Zinsco panel comes right up to the center of the panel and the panel has the meter on the bottom and breakers aligned horizontally up top.

Every panel I've found has the hub entrance on the left side. Even panels with the meter on the right side still have the entrance on the left side. My problem is that if I moved the box over to connect the existing conduit that's coming from the ground to the left side of the box, then the box would wind up right into the framing of the garage door. I'd need it to slide the other way so the hub would have to connect to the right side of the box.

Is there some sort of box out there that would work for me or could I do some type of separate meter socket and attach it to a panel with no socket? I've never done anything like that so I don't want to slip up and get dinged for the installation being out of code.

Any ideas? Thanks!

esp47

Occupation
Technician
Welcome to the forum.

Can you post a few pics?

Sure.

7l1795P.jpg

lc1Xc1F.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've never seen the service come up inside the wall like that, nor a meter, meter/main, or meter/panel mounted flush like that. You'll probably be patching the wall opening in any case.

I'm thinking cover the hole and reroute the conductors, which will need extending, into the back of a surface-mounted meter base, and mount a more standard type of panel inside.

I would probably ask for a power-company engineer to come out to take a look and advise.

norcal

What size is the rigid conduit? The only thing I can think of is if SMUD (based on your location I assume they are the PoCo) would disconnect the power & you cut the pipe which will take a long time to avoid nicking the conductors, & the siding would probably have to be removed but then bend a offset to enter the new panel, using a compression coupling to connect the pipe, it also means the new panel would be a bit lower because of the offset, cutting the conduit is the big problem, those Zinsco UG panels are extra horrible because of their odd design. Another really bad option is a surface mounted panel over the old opening, and a new UG feed, this idea would not very workable. The PoCo will need to be consulted any way you look at it.

norcal

I've never seen the service come up inside the wall like that, nor a meter, meter/main, or meter/panel mounted flush like that. You'll probably be patching the wall opening in any case.

Pretty common around here, but in PG&E territory 3" pipe is required now.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
Another option would be mounting a trough below the new panel with the opening facing out that the POCO can put a lock/tag on and then run your conduit out of the top of the trough into your new panel. This would also allow you to extend the wires if needed.
While cutting the rigid, a trick I use is sliding a smaller pipe over the wires (some times copper pipe) inside the existing conduit so I don't accidentally nick them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You can also rent a chain-type pipe cutter, but the conduit is probably short enough for a splice box with the meter above it.

growler

I'm thinking cover the hole and reroute the conductors, which will need extending, into the back of a surface-mounted meter base, and mount a more standard type of panel inside.

I would probably ask for a power-company engineer to come out to take a look and advise.

I have seen flush mounted meter bases but the local utility companies don't allow that anymore and have not for years.

I agree with talking to a POCO engineers,

eds

I seem to recall a code section that doesn’t allow the service entrance conductors to be inside a structure, except for a piece of rigid going thru the soffit to exit the roof for an overhead service

On the line side of the meter

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That siding is easy to redo . cut framing as needed
Not really. All currently available panels have the pull section on the left. If the OP wants to extend the existing riser without cutting and bending an offset the new panel would end up in the garage door opening. That means shifting the garage door opening over. Only reasonable option is to offset existing conduit.

In California it has been standard practice to have service conductors inside the wall for both overhead and underground services. I know many here think its crazy but we thing having exposed SE cable strapped to the side of houses is crazy. :)

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well, to suit the OP's desire to replace the equipment with like, the conduit can be cut with a chain cutter as I mentioned, carefully reamed, fitted with a threadless fitting, and an offset built with a pair of 22.5 deg. elbows.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I have seen flush mounted meter bases but the local utility companies don't allow that anymore and have not for years.

I agree with talking to a POCO engineers,
Flush mount meter bases were very common in the 1970’s. I installed a good many of them around Wilson, NC. But I don’t recall meter/panel combos back then, either flush or surface mount. But that was an area where 1 supply house provided nearly all the equipment used in that county. If they didn’t carry it you wouldn’t see it.

norcal

Flush mount meter bases were very common in the 1970’s. I installed a good many of them around Wilson, NC. But I don’t recall meter/panel combos back then, either flush or surface mount. But that was an area where 1 supply house provided nearly all the equipment used in that county. If they didn’t carry it you wouldn’t see it.

They are still common here, pretty much every new house uses a semi flush combo panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.