Main Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Main Panel

That is a great question, if we assume no then I would guess the pannel needs a main or we would want to take 6 breakers out and feed another sub as an alternative.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

What is needed is a service disconnecting means, and you are limited to six devices. Adding a main outside or inside the wall would do it. Replacing the panel with a MCB panel would do it. Putting in the sub-panel (as you suggest) would do it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

To me, the question is whether an existing installation requires a change.

If this installation was properly permitted, properly (at the time) done, and properly inspected, the answer is "no".

So, what was the disconnect requirement in 1960, and can the above be ascertained?

jwelectric

Originally posted by thebugbear:
That is a great question, if we assume no then I would guess the pannel needs a main or we would want to take 6 breakers out and feed another sub as an alternative.
I would have a concern about 408.34 and 408.36 with this panel. Just because it only has six disconnects does not relieve the main. There are other things to be taken into consideration.
:)

james wuebker

I agree with Larry. If this was done and approved at the time it should be good. A lot of areas like this, the city will grandfather this installing in for now. If a larger service is added then they will make you up date the service to meet code. Yes, I would feel somewhat better if it did have a main for this.
Jim

macmikeman

I think that 6 disconect means rule has been around since about the time they stopped having to swing that big crank handle in the front of automobiles to get them to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.