Main service panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markm

I am a home inspector. I ran into this panel the other day. I was not able to get into the house itself, this main panel was in the garage. I am unfamiliar with this type of main panel, is there something specific I should be looking for inside, or is this the same as any main service?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Don't get everyone going on the Federal panel. It is not much liked around here, however, it looks like you have a 400 amp panel (I assume the bottom pull out is the main). What specifically do you want to know.

I have never seen a 400 amp federal panel in a residence.

markm

I understand that Stab- loks are the F-P issue. I haven't seen one of these panels before. I get to go back to this home and wanted more knowledge as to what to look for. I think it should be wired as any main panel. Thanks.

wbalsam1

markm said:
I am a home inspector. I ran into this panel the other day. I was not able to get into the house itself, this main panel was in the garage. I am unfamiliar with this type of main panel, is there something specific I should be looking for inside, or is this the same as any main service?

Your questions suggest to me that you may be unfamiliar with electrical services in general. If, in fact, that assumption is true, be very careful representing yourself as knowledgeable about electrical to the extent that if you should "OK" something it could come back to bite you later. Or worse yet, someone could rely on your perhaps untrained assessment and become injured, etc. If this does not apply to you, please accept my humble apologies. Perhaps it's just the way you worded your questions, or the way in which I've interpreted them. Best of luck in any event. :)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If a device met the code that was in effect at the time it was installed, and if the code changed in such a way that made that device no longer legal to install, that does not mean that it has to be removed or replaced. If the authority having jurisdiction (i.e., the Electrical Inspectors, not a Home Inspector) judges that the present installation represents a hazard to life or property, then they can write it up as a violation of the present code. I don?t think they invoke that right very often, since it is hard to show that a hazard exists.

So the best you may be able to do is to report that this service panel is of a type for which a number of problems have been reported over the years, and recommend that an electrician be brought in to conduct a detailed inspection. Meaning no disrespect to, or unkind reflection upon, yourself or other members of your profession, I think it is too much to ask of a Home Inspector to discern the difference between an old, but still functional panel, and an old panel that is about to fail. You should leave it up to the seller and any prospective buyer to decide who pays for the electrical inspection, and who pays for any repairs or upgrades that may be recommended by the electrician.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This appears to be an old Federal Fuse Panel. If you were to pull on one of those handles the fuse holder would pop out with it's fuses inside. Although this is a Federal Panel I would worry about their reputation since the stab-lok CB problem wouldn't apply. As others have said, if further inspection is needed I would suggest having someone who has experience with this type of installation take a look at it. There are too many variables to properly answer your question.

mdshunk

I guess this question is getting shopped around a bit, but my original response on the other boards stands. This panel is a commercial style FPE fuse panel, that has had no special issues over the years. In fact, the FPE panels of this general style have stood the test of time quite well. I would recommend that a home inspector check this panel the same as any other old fuse panel, without regard for the brand or size.

markm

So the best you may be able to do is to report that this service panel is of a type for which a number of problems have been reported over the years, and recommend that an electrician be brought in to conduct a detailed inspection. Meaning no disrespect to, or unkind reflection upon, yourself or other members of your profession, I think it is too much to ask of a Home Inspector to discern the difference between an old, but still functional panel, and an old panel that is about to fail. You should leave it up to the seller and any prospective buyer to decide who pays for the electrical inspection, and who pays for any repairs or upgrades that may be recommended by the electrician.

No offense taken, we always recommend our clients contact a licensed electrician to review issues we have identified.

jamesguy10

Thats defainatly a fuse panel. I've never seen any real problems, just check to make sure circuits with #14 wire are on 15 amp fuses and #12 on 20 amp. Ive seen way too many people using 30 amp fuses for everything to stop the fuse from blowing (doing its job)

Status
Not open for further replies.