Maintaining PE License

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical/Lighting Engineer
I am the owner of a small company. I have done projects all over the country so I have many state licenses. As a small company every dollar spent is precious. Some of the states I have done one project in years ago and now the license sits idol, I renew them every year or two years as required but I am finding this to be a waste of money. Can I let my license expire in states I dont use it in? Then if I need to get the license again go through the application process?

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Do not do that in Florida. It goes null and void, and you have to go through the whole thing again.

Occupation
Electrical/Lighting Engineer
My first license after passing the PE was Colorado. Which I plan to keep and maintain as most my work is in Colorado. What I am wondering are the "extra"' states. Can I let those expire? I understand that would probably have to file the application again but NCEE keeps these records. What I want to avoid is if you are not allowed to do this OR if there are large penalties if I ever need to renew that states license.

ron

It depends on the state and how friendly they are to the renewal process.

I understand a friend just renewed in NJ for example and they just charge a penalty based on the number of years it lapsed.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Have you updated your NCEES record in the last 3 years? They made some major changes.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I agree with Ron.
Check with the states where you are registered, almost every place has procedures for reinstating lapsed licenses. It is not uncommon to find you must pay a prior annuals renewals + a reinstatement fee, and proof of continuing education.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I had 10 at one time. I let all but two lapse, and I will let one of those lapse when the time comes. I only tried to reinstate one of them. It was not difficult or expensive. I suggest that when one of yours is close to its expiration date, look up the requirements for reinstating an expired license. Then you can decide whether or not to renew.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I think some states will let you change your license status to inactive ( for a fee of course).

But it usually makes it cheaper and easier to reinstate it later.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
Back a long time ago, those who had passed the State Exam for Texas Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractors License, the term was good for 3 years. Then, they started forcing renewal every year.
Then they started forcing continuing education in order to then pay them for annual renewal. It should be clear that this is racketeering and is not about maintaining standards, but a new and tiwsted form of social control being implemented through political and bureaucratic means. If you go out in the field and see if the standard has indeed come up with all this nonsense, the answer is a definite no. Along with this subterfuge, the quality of Engineering, and quality of Materials and Goods has gone way down. This is all carrying monetization too far and for all the wrong reasons. This is also another example of the system making things double difficult for the small guy running a business. Its is also yet another way to propigate fradulent science as fact in the minds of all of those subjected to said continuing education.

Status
Not open for further replies.