Maintanence volunteers interseting splicing technigue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
splice4.jpg

A parent maintenance volunteer at a church summer camp devised this splicing technique for a feeder he had cut through while digging a drainage trench. It is understandable that he would hit the eighty ampere feeder as it was put in years ago by volunteers working in very rocky soil. The depth of burial is about six inches. I thought his use of an acorn clamp and a NM cable connector as splices was quite original. The plastic pipe was how he had planned to enclose the splice. He was going to fill both ends of the pipe with caulking.

Luckily he called me to ask how to turn the feeder back on and when he was halfway through the description of what he was doing I told him to stop what he was doing and I drove out the next day to find this.
--
Tom

dcl34769

Re: Maintanence volunteers interseting splicing technigue.

it would have been better if he had used a short piece of ground rod for the splice. that way at least the use of acorns would have been legal!? :D

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Maintanence volunteers interseting splicing technigue.

I was a maint supervisor at a church camp for three years. We had a variety of buildings and wiring. I started my electrical career there and it was a good experience. The volunteer issue is a tough one, you need the help, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.