Making an extension Cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokeydog18

Occupation
Electrician
Is there anything in the NEC that says you cannot make an extension cord out of a 4x4 metal box, strain relief for SO cord size, SO cord (14/2 w/ground) and a male 15-amp plug? If not is there anything suggesting, you should not do it even though you connect the ground wire to the box and receptacles?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
OSHA does not distinguish between indoors or outdoors. I think it is in OSHA 1926 part K but that's shooting from the hip.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Methinks the concern is that a connector with a locknut could too easily unscrew.

My first choice would be a PVC box with threaded entrances.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Back when I worked at a steel mill, we made up all of our extension cords, the policy was to not trust factory molded cord caps because they couldn’t be inspected. So for having multiple outlets at the end, we used malleable steel FS boxes with a steel cover, threaded hub and a CGB on the cord. Those things got run over by cars and fork lifts, smashed into concrete, dragged across I-beams and smacked into them, they survived all of it. A couple of times guys tried it with Bell boxes, didn’t last a week. Steel mills are abusive places though, a Bell box may be OK for general use.

I made one for home with a 1900 box, it’s lasted me 30+ years, but I don’t use it when it’s wet outdoors for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.