Making own KOs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAP

On a service riser over head ,I ran to situations where I have to make my own KO for overhead riser is that UL listing violation I'm not using the premade hub in the center of panel I'm using a Myers and making my own Ko on top of panel sometimes on the left sometimes on the right these are service changes thank you

Carultch

On a service riser over head ,I ran to situations where I have to make my own KO for overhead riser is that UL listing violation I'm not using the premade hub in the center of panel I'm using a Myers and making my own Ko on top of panel sometimes on the left sometimes on the right these are service changes thank you

In what particular piece of equipment?

jumper

Legal I think as long as fittings are listed.

312.2 Damp and Wet Locations.
In damp or wet loca-
tions, surface-type enclosures within the scope of this ar-
ticle shall be placed or equipped so as to prevent moisture
or water from entering and accumulating within the cabinet
or cutout box, and shall be mounted so there is at least
6-mm (1⁄4in.) airspace between the enclosure and the wall
or other supporting surface. Enclosures installed in wet lo-
cations shall be weatherproof. For enclosures in wet loca-
tions, raceways or cables entering above the level of unin-
sulated live parts shall use fittings listed for wet locations

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What are you screwing into the conduit hub? Threaded conduit is ok, but none of the connectors that have male threads have been evaluated for use with female threads. Some inspectors will call you on that issue if you are using a connector of some type with the conduit hub.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
2014 NEC requires hubs to be used for a conduit that serves as a service mast shall be identified for use with service ent equipment. 230.28(A)
Is the Meyers hub so identified? Not sure. Also the Meyers would have be listed for grounding, there are lock rings for the Meyers with a bond screw.

check them out here http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...mmercial-products/catalog-pdfs/myers-hubs.pdf

One common violation I see with Meyers hubs is using them with PVC conduit male adapters. They are listed for threaded metal conduit, this is in the UL white book...

Smart $

Esteemed Member
One common violation I see with Meyers hubs is using them with PVC conduit male adapters. They are listed for threaded metal conduit, this is in the UL white book...
Instead, use a rigid close nipple in the hub followed by a PVC female adapter on the other end of the nipple. Completely compliant with listings.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

if you are changing out a service, and the old service (like zinsco) is centered,
and the new service (like everything else now) is off to one side....... and you
want to use the original hole in the roof.....

i've just bent an offset in a 10' stick of GRC, and changed it out.
you can measure the new panel, and the deviation from center,
and pre bend it. spin the listed hub onto it, and screw it to the
new can.

if that fails, you can always hack a hole in the center of the new can,
butcher the barrier, and void the UL listing...... :huh:

Electric-Light

if you are changing out a service, and the old service (like zinsco) is centered,
and the new service (like everything else now) is off to one side....... and you
want to use the original hole in the roof.....

i've just bent an offset in a 10' stick of GRC, and changed it out.
you can measure the new panel, and the deviation from center,
and pre bend it. spin the listed hub onto it, and screw it to the
new can.

if that fails, you can always hack a hole in the center of the new can,
butcher the barrier, and void the UL listing...... :huh:

Now all we need is for a way for you to provide better service and charge exorbitantly. Making sure everything is all LEED sham and that

Status
Not open for further replies.