management insight

Status
Not open for further replies.

eager2learn

I need help with a situation i was invovled in today - for the last 3 months or so ive been running a project and onlt taking one break - with that being said today i got in trouble because stae mandates that we take 2 10 minute breaks and 1 30 minute break totaling 50 minutes a day. ive been taking one 25 minute a day. my reasoning has been because the 50 minute break actually turns into a 110 minute once the employees gat to where there going and back. - i need help with this situation because my company is threating to strip me of my title due to lawsuits. - i got pretty steamed and would like any info on how to deal with ordeal professionally

480sparky

I don't get it. You say you take half the required breaks and lunch, but you lollygag around and end up taking more than twice what's required?

nafis

Do you keep documentations of the employee time sheet? to support your claims.
Is your superior aware of your project management actions?
Did you ever inform or imply what you doing to your boss that including verbally or via phone?
If any of your answers to the above questions is NO.
Contact an employment Lawyer.

stevenj76

Here we gots to take the 20 minute coffee break and the unpaid half-hour lunch, or its a major liability for the company after someone gets the red-a55.

If it is found you knowingly worked them through the breaks, that could turn all that straight-time into overtime. PAYDAY BABY PAYDAY!! I hope its not PW work...

Hopefully this did not all come about because you were a jerk, if that's the case, the problem won't go away.

Yes by law you are required to give them the required break times. However if they exceed the break time, don't allow them to be paid for that time, and also write them up each time they do it. After a few write-ups, that they signed will give your employer good reason to take some action against those employees. If they fail to sign the write-up, document that, and send it all in with your paperwork. Of course, keep a copy of everything for your records.

On the jobs I ran, I was gave the option to allow the employees to choose between a full hour break for lunch, or 2- 15minute breaks, and a 1-30 minute break. I agree with the time wasted, it happens that they waste alot of time between stopping work, taking break, and getting back to work. My rule was when 9am hit you could stop working, when 915 hit you better be turning the screw driver again. They're not working if they're walking back to where they were before, ie they're not working if they're not at the desk waiting for the phone to ring. (My opinion on the last part :))

Good Luck

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Jobox at 7:00, break at 9:30 to 9:45, lunch at 12:00 to 12:30, pick up at 3:15, go home at 3:30. How we do it here, I.B.E.W.; now yes time can be used to and frow~ 5min each way if not breaking at work zone. Follow your Co. and talk to the men. If you need to send an App. out to get breaks for all do that.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Wow, you could just try treating your employees like people and see how that works. Hour on Friday every now and then,if they've been doing a good job all week, never hurt anyone.

Here we have city issued cell phones. I would turn mine off at lunch and for some reason that always seemed like the time my boss would call. I simply told him that since I wasn't getting paid from 12:00-12:30 I was under no obligation to talk to him about work, his boss actually agreed.

Most employee manuals will tell you that you can't be at your work station more than 5 minutes before your start time and no more than 5 minutes after. Two fifteen minute breaks and a 1/2 hour lunch. Have someone work through their breaks, who knows the system, then try to let them got and you can bet that they will be looking for back pay.

eager2learn

Thanks everyone for you replies - i thought i was doing more of a productive measure rather than trying to be a jerk - there were only 2 other employees working with me and i asked them if they would be interested in the idea - they agrreed so we did - i learned a very valuable lesson and appreciate your thoughts

laketime

If your guys are taking longer breaks than what is permitted you talk to them about it. If they continue to do it you get rid of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

macmikeman

I get to and start working on the jobsites usually at about 8:00 am. I work straight to 11:45 am. I stop for lunch. At 11:51 am, I strap the tools back on and then continue to work until 5 or 6 at which time I sweep up my mess and then drive home. There is nothing sweeter than the one man shop syndrome......:roll: What is this break thing you are referring to?

dmagyar

Also pick up a book or two about motivation

Also pick up a book or two about motivation

Eager2learn, also don't just believe that because someone is where they're supposed to be at any time of the day that they're being efficient. With construction we're always working ourselves out of a job, and you can't "beat" someone into acting in a manner that you desire, you have to motivate them. I've worked for all types before becoming my own boss, most of those I worked for didn't have a clue how to treat anyone, or that they could achieve more production and less overall problems using other methods to motivate their workmen & women.
Get organized, insist that everyone on the "team" is also organized and that everyone's working for the same goal, completing the present job, making your contractor profitable, so you can bid and win more work, thus ensuring for that crew in these scary times of a job tomorrow.
If the workmen and women are on the job feeling that they never do anything correctly, that they're breaks are too long it's your job to set the example, get up and get them back to their tasks. Let them know that you appreciate the good work they're doing.
Make sure they've got plenty of everything they need before they need it. Have all the material setup where it can be found easily.

Set an example for your team to emulate. Good luck

220/221

i got pretty steamed and would like any info on how to deal with ordeal professionally

Easy.

Allow two 10 minute breaks and one 30 minute break as per mandates.

Being in charge isn't that difficult.

Mandates aren't suggestions BTW. If you want to change the mandates, start jumping thru the appropriate hoops.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I think you screwed up, but it's an understandable mistake when your two workers are in on it. The fella that sued will get his in the end, for renegging on his deal without manning up and just telling you he was tired of the deal. Karma.

btharmy

Any break is a bonus where I live. Indiana labor law doesn't require breaks for workers over 18. No break, no lunch, no nothing!

K2500

Not required here either, but we still get them. I won't go so far as to say there given as a bonus though.

Status
Not open for further replies.