Mandatory rewire a remodeled kitchen or bath

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimknocke

I live and work GA. My customer is remodeling kitchen and bath and was informed that he has to have all appliances rewired back to the box and new breakers installed. Is the NEC being changed?

physis

Re: Mandatory rewire a remodeled kitchen or bath

This area has always been a little fuzzy to me. Around here it's generally accepted that if you open a wall, you have to bring it up to current code. Not necessarily back to the panel. But if you install new equipment and have open walls it seems reasonable that the installation should meet current code.

jeff43222

Seems to me that if there's already something existing in the wall that is suitable for whatever appliance you're installing, you should be able to use it. Then again, depending on how old the wiring is, it might be very unlikely that pre-existing wiring would be legit to use for a new appliance. I have a hard time accepting a blanket requirement that all appliances have to be a new wires and breakers.

Most of the work I do is on pre-WWII houses, and for a full-gut kitchen remodel job, I usually advise ripping out whatever is in the walls and starting over from scratch. Often the pre-existing stuff in a kitchen or bathroom is connected to other outlets around the house.

physis

jeff43222, I agree with everthing you've said. :)

celtic

It may be a local requirement - which would exceed NEC and be allowable and enforceable.

jbfan74

What part of GA. Their are several requirments in the areas I work in. One county states if you touch the service, you bring the house completly to current code. Another coounty requires upgrades to arkfaults and gfcis if the service is upgraded, but does not have that requiremnt if you just swap for same service size.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

same in this area as what physis stated...
expose the studs = bring that area up to code

Status
Not open for further replies.