Manual Transfer Switch in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoSmoke

New User
Occupation
Retured
Hello all, I have tried in vain to locate a Canadian certified manual transfer switch that would be installed on the utility side of a residential breaker panel and would switch either the utility power or power from a generator into the panel. I would prefer to go this route as the whole house would then be serviced (within the limits of the generator of course) rather than a load side switch with it's rather limited number of circuits.

My question is, is there such a beast (100 amp service) and where would I find one?

BTW, I at first thought the best solution would be a mechanical interlock device (the thing that interlocks the main breaker and a generator breaker such that both cannot be switched on at the same time). This it seems is a quite popular item in the US but I cannot find the equivalent in Canada and in fact the local inspector doesn't even seem to be aware of them. Siemens for example makes a variety of such devices but none with Canadian cert. And, I was told be a Siemens rep that such devices are not approved here.

Any assistance with this question would be much appreciated.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum’s rules. This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries.

Forum rules prohibit us from assisting a person to perform or assist others to do electrical work. The reason is that the forum’s owner does not want a person to get an answer to the question they asked, but not get answers to the other questions they should have asked and were unaware they needed to ask. Mike Holt Enterprises and the Moderators of this Forum do not wish to place you and your family in danger, by allowing others to give you too little information to ensure that the installation is safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.