Manufactured Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

engy

Have a neighbor that bought a portable classroom and is using as supplemental space for daycare. (Main care is in home, this structure just used as play area a portion of the day.)

Wired from breaker at a pole, two hots & neutral.
Main breaker in panel in portable classroom, with N-G bond.
Ground rods at both structures.
Inspector says separate ground is required (treating like a mobile home?)

This would fall under 550 Manufactured Buildings?
Service is at the pole, this is second structure with no other common metallic paths.
Does anyone see any problems with the installation?

[ June 27, 2005, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: engy ]

engy

Re: Manufactured Building

I have not had a chance to get more info from the neighbor, but as described above, I believe the installation would be code compliant.
Agree/Disagree?

jwelectric

To comment on you referral of what the inspector said and you question which followed.

Inspector says separate ground is required (treating like a mobile home?)

Manufactured Home. A structure, transportable in one or more sections, that is 2.5 m (8 body ft) or more in width or 12 m (40 body ft) or more in length in the traveling mode or, when erected on site, is 30 m2 (320 ft2) or more; which is built on a chassis and designed to be used as a dwelling, with or without a permanent foundation, when connected to the required utilities, including the plumbing, heating, air conditioning, and electrical systems contained therein. Calculations used to determine the number of square meters (square feet) in a structure will be based on the structure?s exterior dimensions, measured at the largest horizontal projections when erected on site. These dimensions include all expandable rooms, cabinets, and other projections containing interior space but do not include inside bay windows.
For the purpose of this Code and unless otherwise indicated, the term mobile home includes manufactured homes.

[ June 28, 2005, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

"...and designed to be used as a dwelling..."

This, to me, does not apply to the typical "mobil classroom."

charlie

550.4 General Requirements.
(A) Mobile Home Not Intended as a Dwelling Unit.
A mobile home not intended as a dwelling unit ? for example, those equipped for sleeping purposes only, contractor?s on-site offices, construction job dormitories, mobile studio dressing rooms, banks, clinics, mobile stores, or intended for the display or demonstration of merchandise or machinery ? shall not be required to meet the provisions of this article pertaining to the number or capacity of circuits required. It shall, however, meet all other applicable requirements of this article if provided with an electrical installation intended to be energized from a 120-volt or 120/240-volt ac power supply system. Where different voltage is required by either design or available power supply system, adjustment shall be made in accordance with other articles and sections for the voltage used.

jwelectric

I was addressing the comment of the inspector and did not address the question of the poster.

The reason I did not address the question of the poster is this:

To address the question as weather this building would fall under 550, the answer might be found in ARTICLE 545 Manufactured Buildings

Manufactured Building. Any building that is of closed construction and is made or assembled in manufacturing facilities on or off the building site for installation, or for assembly and installation on the building site, other than manufactured homes, mobile homes, park trailers, or recreational vehicles.
The best advice I could give this guy is hire an electrician!
:cool:

engy

The reason I did not address the question of the poster is this:

:( a tiny bit :mad:

My fault for not reading past the definitions.
Didn't expect a contradictory statement like "Mobile home not intended as a dwelling unit"

I would have expected a different definition such as "mobile bulding" or "mobile structure"

[ June 29, 2005, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: engy ]

jwelectric

engy

Don?t mean to make you angry nor confuse you in any way.

Based on your post it sounds like either you or your neighbor has done the wiring on this structure and have not enlisted the aid of a qualified electrician.

As mentioned in your post this is going to house children. Based on the fact that children are present I wouldn?t want to aid in someone doing something that might bring harm to one of them.

If I am wrong in my assumption then I am sorry. If I am not wrong and there is not an electrician involved then?
:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.