Manufactured home framing and ceiling fan boxes

SparkyAdam

Occupation
Electrician/Small Business Owner
Hello forums,

I haven't done a ton of ceiling fan installs in manufactured homes and this is odd to me.
There is no joists to attach a box to.
There is half inch drywall and half inch plywood, then there is some smaller framing (looks like one bys) that sit flat and another that spans across that one to the next one.

I can't attach the box to the plywood right?

I have one of those metal fan brace boxes that spans the gap between joists but It doesn't look like it will attach to anything substantial.

Can you not install a ceiling fan in here?

Pictures of the framing

SparkyAdam

Occupation
Electrician/Small Business Owner
So I kind of figured this out. I called and chatted with some old time electricians.
This is a double wide that was built in the late 70s, and through the 80s they built these using 2x2 framing without actual joists.

It's apparently not done this way anymore, and since there is no actual framing that a fan box can attach itself too... you can't add a fan in these. You would have to add framing with you can't do in a double wide that has no attic.

Incase anyone else was curious, that's what I found out.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
So I kind of figured this out. I called and chatted with some old time electricians.
This is a double wide that was built in the late 70s, and through the 80s they built these using 2x2 framing without actual joists.

It's apparently not done this way anymore, and since there is no actual framing that a fan box can attach itself too... you can't add a fan in these. You would have to add framing with you can't do in a double wide that has no attic.

Incase anyone else was curious, that's what I found out.
If you put a ceiling medallion and are able to get some half strut up there it's do able with minimal drywall repair. You still need to get to the middle beam and the topplate on the other side.