Manufactured home sevice disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

btamblyn1511

Occupation
Electrician
I work in commercial and Industrial applications where most of everything is designed by an engineer so I'm not too familiar with residential codes. I have a manufactured home being delivered that I purchased and I am confused on the requirements for the service disconnecting means. The meter with a 200 amp disconnect is located 100' feet from where my house will be placed on a permanent foundation (Classified as a manufactured home according to 550.2 definitions of a manufactured house).

My question is according to the 2017 NEC, do I have to install a disconnecting means on the outside of the house since according to 550.32(A) my service disconnecting means is +30' away from the house? Or do I not have to because according to 550.32(B) it is a manufactured house and has the main disconnect inside in the panelboard? According to the definition of service equipment, being anything to disconnect the service supply and I am not sure if the 200 amp disconnect in the main panel is classified as the service equipment.

I believe I need a disconnecting means on the outside of my house but I am hoping I am wrong.

My state is currently using the 2017 NEC and has zero provisions in their state rules for this.

Thanks for any help.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Does it meet all (7) requirements of 551.32(B) ? and does it meet the definition of a "manufactured home" ?

btamblyn1511

Occupation
Electrician
Does it meet all (7) requirements of 551.32(B) ? and does it meet the definition of a "manufactured home" ?
Yes. However, what does it mean service equipment can be installed in or on a manufactured home (550.32B)? If this means the meter, and the service conductors to the first point of disconnecting means, then those are located 100' away

btamblyn1511

Occupation
Electrician
To simplify my question, do I need to put a disconnect on the outside of my house since the meter and the first OCPD is located more than 30 feet away?

btamblyn1511

Occupation
Electrician
Does the home have a "HUD" decal on the exterior ?
I believe it will. It meets HUD specifications and is a manufactured home. 550.32B doesn't say anything about the service equipment being located anywhere other than on or in a manufactured home and my service equipment is located away from the home.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The terms "mobile" and "manufactured" are used loosely in this area. I can only speak for our area, but if it has a HUD sticker(s) outside the local authorities view it as a mobile home and the 30' rule, outside disconnect rules apply; if it has some other 3rd party inspection on the interior,it's considered a manufactured home and treated as a stick built residence.

btamblyn1511

Occupation
Electrician
The terms "mobile" and "manufactured" are used loosely in this area. I can only speak for our area, but if it has a HUD sticker(s) outside the local authorities view it as a mobile home and the 30' rule, outside disconnect rules apply; if it has some other 3rd party inspection on the interior,it's considered a manufactured home and treated as a stick built residence.
Well it's a manufactured home according to the NEC as well as my state.

btamblyn1511

Occupation
Electrician
At the bottom of 550.32B it says "where the service equipment is not installed in or on the unit, the installation shall comply with the other provisions of this section"

I think that's telling me I need a disconnect outside on the house since my service equipment is not located on or in the manufactured home.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Why is the service 100’ from the manufactured home? After all it is a manufactured home, not a mobile home.
Around here if a mobile home does not have wheels still attached then it is not mobile anymore. And if a manufactured home sets on a permanent foundation then it is treated as any stick built home.

btamblyn1511

Occupation
Electrician
Why is the service 100’ from the manufactured home? After all it is a manufactured home, not a mobile home.
Around here if a mobile home does not have wheels still attached then it is not mobile anymore. And if a manufactured home sets on a permanent foundation then it is treated as any stick built home.
The power was included in the land purchase and thats where it was put. I dont see why this would need to be classified as something other than the same requirements for a stick built. I suppose I'll go without and if I get called I'll fix it. Thanks for all your help fellas

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Will your manufactured home be located in a mobile home park ?
Since you have underground service, it sounds like you are in a mobile home park, or a planned community.
Either way AHJ will apply.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
IMO, if the home is truly rated/listed as a manufactured home, then you couldn't install per the mfg instructions since the service is located elsewhere. It would have to be installed per 550.32(A), which would mean adding another disconnect within 30' of the home since the 1st/main disconnect is more than 30' from the home. Also, a 4-wire feeder would have to be ran from the service to the added disconnect and from the disconnect to the inside panel. Your inspector might allow the disconnect to be mounted on the house instead of on a pedestal, or sorts, but that would be something you would need to ask about.

btamblyn1511

Occupation
Electrician
IMO, if the home is truly rated/listed as a manufactured home, then you couldn't install per the mfg instructions since the service is located elsewhere. It would have to be installed per 550.32(A), which would mean adding another disconnect within 30' of the home since the 1st/main disconnect is more than 30' from the home. Also, a 4-wire feeder would have to be ran from the service to the added disconnect and from the disconnect to the inside panel. Your inspector might allow the disconnect to be mounted on the house instead of on a pedestal, or sorts, but that would be something you would need to ask about.
Okay. I understand it was a little confusing of a question but sounds like you're understanding my issue. Thanks for the help!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Okay. I understand it was a little confusing of a question but sounds like you're understanding my issue. Thanks for the help!
You're welcome!

I might add, if the inspector will allow the disconnect to be mounted on the home, he would probably require a grounding system installed there. But the grounding electrode conductor would have to land on the ground (EGC) bus and not the neutral bus.

btamblyn1511

Occupation
Electrician
You're welcome!

I might add, if the inspector will allow the disconnect to be mounted on the home, he would probably require a grounding system installed there. But the grounding electrode conductor would have to land on the ground (EGC) bus and not the neutral bus.
I would assume so. Pretty sure the main bonding jumper was installed at the meter. I'm going to call the AHJ this week and see if they can answer my question. I didn't know that was an option since I've never personally pulled a permit before.

Status
Not open for further replies.