Marina - High Neutral-Ground Voltage

Robert_in_MS

New User
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Hi Folks,

I’m in leadership, and have a small boat, at a local marina. We recently had new piers installed and there were issues with the electrical panels and pedestals which first showed up because I was getting a reverse polarity indication (RPL for brevity) in my 1981 vintage trawler. I checked and there was 7.45V between Neutral and Ground when the RPL was on. I then found big problems with the panels and wiring because I do have a good bit of experience with electrical systems and panels, I was a plant engineer at a manufacturing company for years. It was quite a mess, and I was asked to help, so we worked with the same professional electrical engineer to get the drawings revised and same contractor to get everything corrected. I have read thoroughly y’all’s Intro to Article 555 and a detailed article on ABYC Electrical Standard (by Jim? Gilwellbear, Mike is linked in it) which were very helpful in getting everything straightened out. I did search and read thru the forum but could not find enough information to fully help me with my continuing problem.

The system is 120V with 30A Shore Power (and 20A GFCI) receptacles fed from a main panel on land, then some 400 ft to a sub-panel in a boathouse, then to a sub-panel on the pier, then to the International Dock Products pedestals. Both before the redo of the panels and wiring, and now, I’ve confirmed that the 30A receptacles were/are wired properly, so my RPL is not actually reversed polarity in the wiring.

After everything was corrected and working fine for a number of days, last week my RPL came on again which prevents the AC power from operating in the boat. To troubleshoot, using an adapter, I plugged my shore power cable into an extension cord (I know that’s a nono) into the boathouse and found no RPL. Leaving the boat unplugged to talk to folks about what may have changed. I noticed the big boat next to me had their AC running again, evidently, they had an electrician fix something b/c that boat had been tripping their GFCI breaker (there was not a GFCI breaker before the panel was redone, when I got the 7.45V with their AC running). The next day when I plugged back into the pedestal, miraculously no more problem.

I did not have my meter last week so I could not test the voltages. Testing last night, serendipitously, I think I found part of the problem.
- With the AC running on the boat next to me I got:
N-G 5.63 V
L1-N 119.1 V
L1-G 113.8 V
- BUT when the AC turned OFF on the boat next to me I got:
N-G 1.84 V
L1-N 120.6 V
L1-G 118.8 V

I know that the N-G voltage should be zero or certainly less than 1V and I suspect what is tripping my RPL is N-G high voltage (it would be nice to understand why this is). I tried to talk to the EE about this, but he basically blew me off and said 5-7 volts N-G is normal. Well of course it is not, so I need some help determining if there is something amiss with the pier wiring/bonding? and if it that is related to my neighbors AC running causing the N-G voltage to double. I want to get it fixed before somebody potentially gets shocked and have an intelligent conversation with the EE, contractor and boat neighbor. I realize I’m more of an “end user” but given my responsibilities and experience, I hope y’all will indulge in helping me.

Link to 4 photos:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/vlmu...ey=rjp8lmsua4yrqkr17aovazmq3&st=p4z6b8hs&dl=0

Thanks so much, ROBERT

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Agree with Ramsy, although it's a weak neutral (e.g. loosening connection somewhere) rather than actually open (disconnected). High resistance on the neutral would also cause higher voltage drop on the neutral, which can explain the relatively high N-G voltage. The N-G voltage is the voltage drop on the neutral between where you're measuring and where they are bonded together.

Robert_in_MS

New User
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Thanks so much y'all

A couple of clarifications:
- This is a freshwater lake so at least we can eliminate salt water corrosion.
- To minimize cost, only the drop from the boathouse panel to the new pier panel is new.

Also, the 2 Air Conditioners on the larger boat draw 20A (total), can I assume that the increased N-G voltage drop is also a result of that load?
The N-G voltage is the voltage drop on the neutral between where you're measuring and where they are bonded together.
Should I look for the bonding in any/all of the sub-panels? looking at the ground bus and lugs and the receptacle, it appears there is no bond in the pedestal.
I don't want to uncover the busses in the panels until I have to (I will get an electrician involved to to that) but I do have the ability to test the receptacles fed:
- Directly from the Main Panel (at the launching ramp)
- Directly from the boathouse panel

ROBERT