Marking/Labeling of receptacles supplied by a different system voltage.

oshaprofessor

New User
Occupation
Inspector/investigator/Trainer
A single phase 240 volt 2 pole grounding receptacle is supplied by 2 phases from a 208/120 system. The receptacle has a field applied label “30A 240V”.

Obviously plugging in equipment with a 240V motor will damage the motor and ultimately result in failure (motor burn out).

I’m looking for the NEC reference(s) requiring the receptacles to be properly labeled or prohibiting supplying a single phase 240V 2 pole 3 wire (grounding) NEMA receptacle with a different system voltage (208V).

Article 406.8 Noninterchangeability speaks to the construction/manufacturing of the receptacles and outlets not to the wiring of them.

Article 110.21(a)(1) Marking speaks to the manufacturers marking on the product not a field applied label.

Thank you.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I know of no requirement for such a label
I agree.
I’m looking for the NEC reference(s) requiring the receptacles to be properly labeled or prohibiting supplying a single phase 240V 2 pole 3 wire (grounding) NEMA receptacle with a different system voltage (208V).
A 250 volt receptacle is permitted on a 208 volt system. As Augie stated there is no labeling requirement in the NEC but it would be nice if the field label were correct.