Maryland Reciprocity after January 1, 2023

AutomationFan

New User
Occupation
Electrician and Computer Engineer
Hi,

I'm licensed as a master in the City of Pittsburgh, as Pennsylvania doesn't have statewide licensing (just a few cities require licenses). I took the ICC master exam for the 2020 code year, and substantiated the 6 year experience/education for a Pittsburgh license.

Does anyone have experience with Maryland granting reciprocity for locations other than the 4 jurisdictions that they have agreements with (Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware, D.C.)? My understanding of the law is that the State Board should evaluate your other jurisdiction's requirements, and personally vote on your application since they don't have a pre-existing agreement? Based on the years of experience in the other jurisdiction, they sometimes require people to sit on their licenses until they have the Maryland required experience (e.g. West Virginia applicants with 2 years of experience need to wait for 2 years until they can show 4 years of experience to Maryland).

Thanks!

Teaser2

Occupation
Electrician/EE
I have used my NJ license to get DE License via reciprocity between NJ and DE. MD would not accept my license(s) from NJ nor DE. MD does not have reciprocity agreement with NJ as you know. Since my DE license was obtained by reciprocity in DE, they would not accept it either.

I ended up taking the test for MD State Wide Master Electrician License to get it. Luckily, I passed it at first try with 95% passing score.

You can try to get the MD license, however, I doubt that they will accept your City of Pittsburgh license, however, give it a shot.

I just didn't want to go back and forth with MD State; I just took the test. I wanted to see if I still had what it takes to pass it. :)

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Hi,

I'm licensed as a master in the City of Pittsburgh, as Pennsylvania doesn't have statewide licensing (just a few cities require licenses). I took the ICC master exam for the 2020 code year, and substantiated the 6 year experience/education for a Pittsburgh license.

Does anyone have experience with Maryland granting reciprocity for locations other than the 4 jurisdictions that they have agreements with (Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware, D.C.)? My understanding of the law is that the State Board should evaluate your other jurisdiction's requirements, and personally vote on your application since they don't have a pre-existing agreement? Based on the years of experience in the other jurisdiction, they sometimes require people to sit on their licenses until they have the Maryland required experience (e.g. West Virginia applicants with 2 years of experience need to wait for 2 years until they can show 4 years of experience to Maryland).

Thanks!
My experience with them says no, they will make you test unless you are licensed in one of the 4 states they have agreements with. Even though I am licensed in a number of states they would not accept any of them as none are among their 4 reciprocity states. I just went ahead and took the exam. This was in 2020.
The good news is they use PSI for exams and as such you can get permission to take it anywhere there is a PSI site.