Master exam question

ElToroLoco

New User
Occupation
Electrician
A coworker recently took his DC Masters exam and remembered one question that didn’t make sense. Can someone shed light on this question?

A series circuit has a 5 ohm resistor a 25 ohm lamp and a 5 ohm lamp. The voltage drop across the 5 ohm resistor is 10V

What is the source voltage?
A 50V
B 110V
C 220V
D 1110V

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't know if this is correct but
I saw 10v and 5 ohms which has a ratio 10/5 or 2 to 1. the rest of the resistors add to 30 ohms so 2 x 30 = 60v

60v and 10v = 70 volts. There might be an easier way, IDK

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I get the same as above.
All three are in series so current is constant, and total VD = source V
5 ohms = 10v drop
25 ohms = 50v drop based on the known 10v drop
5 ohms = 10v

10+50+10=70v
RT= 35
IT = 2 amps

IR1=2 amps
2 amps X 5 ohms = 10V
2 amps X25 ohms = 50v

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Ohm's Law and the known values (volts and ohms) tell us the ratio that applies to the entire series circuit.
I drew it out because I have had no experience calculating resistors, etc. Once I drew it I saw a relationship and went from there. I did know that resistors in series are additive.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
So, can you tell us the hot resistance? Otherwise, we have to use what's given?
If you don't know the hot resistance, how could you know the voltage drop? In the real world, the question is BS. Likewise, when would you have two such lamps in series (they having the same current) resulting in one having 5 times the resistance, 5 times the wattage, and 5 times the voltage than the other? I dunno, maybe a plate protection circuit for a vacuum tube with the filament being one of the "lamps"? Been a while...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It was a rhetorical question to make my point. We have to presume that the voltage drop given applies to the load as being energized.

As I said, to answer a theoretical question, we have to use the info given and apply all-other-things (i.e., variables)-being-equal, or else the question cannot be answered.

I dunno, maybe a plate protection circuit for a vacuum tube with the filament being one of the "lamps"?
Or a 5-tube AM radio with the filaments in series? (50, 35, 12, 12, 12)

Last edited:

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
It was a rhetorical question to make my point. We have to presume that the voltage drop given applies to the load as being energized.

Yes, I agree, and the answer would be 70V. What gets me is, in the real world, HOW someone would know what the hot resistance of the lamps are. The only practical way would be to know the current through the circuit (either with an amp meter or using the voltage drop across the resistor, which would have little change under load) and then using the determined current and the measured voltage across each lamp to determine the hot resistance. Well, I suppose you could also determine the hot resistance if the characteristics of the lamps were known for the current. You would then design the circuit to have a specific voltage.

My point is, for the given resistances to be known, the voltages would have to first be known, which is what the question is asking. Maybe I'll think of an analogy.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
A coworker recently took his DC Masters exam and remembered one question that didn’t make sense. Can someone shed light on this question?

A series circuit has a 5 ohm resistor a 25 ohm lamp and a 5 ohm lamp. The voltage drop across the 5 ohm resistor is 10V

What is the source voltage?
A 50V
B 110V
C 220V
D 1110V
I'm sure glad stupid questions like that weren't on my masters test.
But I took mine with stone tablets and hammer and chisels were writing tools