Material Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Looking at some work on 3rd floor of building. Basic lighting and power renovation of office floor. About 20K sq. ft.
They mention no elevator and all material will need to be brought up stairs or through window via subcontractors own means.
How would you figure moving in material and small equipment? Stairs and add more labor or through window and figure equipment rental( whatever that may be)? Again, conduit, wire, boxes, light fixtures and panels etc. Thanks.

Todd0x1

Anything heavy? Transformer? Telehandler and fork it all through a window. If everything is going in the building in one shot you might even sub it out to a machinery moving company that does this sort of thing.

If its all lightweight stuff get a bunch of laborers from a labor firm and have them hump it up the stairs.

If you have 'new toy money' in the budget you could get something like this to bring the panels and heavier items up the stairs.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I used to contact the other major subs if they hadn't' contacted me about splitting the rental on a Lull (fork lift)

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
This is a tough thing to figure and could make or break the job depending on how this is figured. Just fixtures alone. They will all be on pallets so those would have to be lifted through the opening. There's over 150 fixtures.

Is it practical to take conduit(3/4" & 1" EMT), MC cable(12/2 & 12/3) and wire(#12 &#10) up three flights of stairs?
I understand using a telehandler make the most sense but my concern is there would be multiple times all this would have to be brought into the building . A telehandler is about $2,700 a month so, in my mind, that would have to be onsite the entire duration of the job as it would be needed at various points. For a 10 month job that is a little bit of coin. That's ok if it would actually be needed onsite all the time but to be honest I'm not sure if it would or not.........see here's where having a good idea on how a job will be "built" is important.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok but I’d def add some time as it would take longer than having conduit and wire etc on a rolling rack etc and pushing that on elevator

Status
Not open for further replies.