materials teaching practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymari

Have a son in law that wants to get his feet wet in the electrical field. (ok bad choice of words) wants to learn the electrical trade i should say. green as can be, will beday #1. just curious as to different methods of learning materials. i was planning on fastening different parts to plywood and labeling but other methods that would be less time consuming are more than welcomed and appreciated. ive had apprentices but none starting from scratch. thanks to all responses in advance

kwired

Electron manager
Start with simple tasks on real jobs. Even if he just has to watch you do certain tasks the first time. You hopefully have lots of simple and even non electrical tasks for him to do also, like carry in tools and supplies, drilling holes, punching holes, cutting and threading pipe, sweeping up, digging trenches, prepping luminaires or other equipment for installation, etc., and of course pulling conductors and cables.

After he gets the hang of some of this and decides he wants to continue to learn the trade then you maybe even look into some books and introduction to NEC and how to use it, maybe move on to a little more complex tasks like bending conduit, understanding simple switching circuits like single pole and three way switching methods, start emphasizing the need for safety regarding electric shock and arc flash hazards somewhat early in the learning process, find stories, pictures or videos of real accidents to show him just how dangerous electrical energy is.

I don't know that I would waste much time doing non productive installs on a training board in the shop, close supervision when learning a new task is still accomplishing some productivity, just don't try to push too many new tasks all at once or he could get lost somewhere. Repetition of new tasks is more helpful for learning than just doing something once and then moving on to something else. Let him watch you with some of the one shot tasks and try to assign him more repetitive tasks early in his learning experience.

bobbymari

great input kwired, i do have plenty of beginer tasks just wanted some ideas of learning materials on his own time. ill come up with something but thanks again to all

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

for training "greenhorns" i go this way. heres what we are doing today. ......... give them a list of minimal hand tools they will need. if they don't know what they are, show them, so they get the right tool at the supplier. drilling holes and hanging boxes. these two tasks are crucial in that they need to be done, need to be done right, and, over time, can help learn "circuit paths" if planned out properly. other posts are spot on as well. i'd get him a book (current and up to date) on residential wiring, have him read a little (1/2 hr at night) and bring questions in to discuss during the day. enroll him in an apprenticship school if it's available where you are. you'll find out in a hurry how serious he is once the "work" really starts. explain to him he's at the bottom of the heap, you've paid your dues, he will do tasks you've HAD to do to get the job, KEEP the job and get the job done. it's all work. it if was easy kids would do it. teach him early NOT to work anything hot, explain why . no matter what you're showing him explain why it is done this way, it helps.

when it comes time to straighten out the van or work truck, thats a great place to work side by side. parts identification, this is a ......., it works like this for this application. become a teacher. its one of the most rewarding, time consuming things you'll ever do. have fun doing it. a sense of humor on the job is crucial

bobbymari

great input from all thank you very much. this site is great I swear. And yea sense of humor especially a must being that its my son in law!!! thanks again guys he starts tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.