Math formula-looking for like an ugly book for solar

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Finshing up my solar classes online and Looking if there an ugly version for the solar field , there are a ton of variables to memorize, I am going to sit down and right the most common I would use, but a little cheat book would be nice .

like right now working on maximum modules in series and min, easy when its explaining remembering that plus all the other stuff, o boy.

Last edited:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Finshing up my solar classes online and Looking if there an ugly version for the solar field , there are a ton of variables to memorize, I am going to sit down and right the most common I would use, but a little cheat book would be nice .

like right now working on maximum modules in series and min, easy when its explaining remembering that plus all the other stuff, o boy.
My advice is to learn the fundamental principles very well and use them in your calculations rather than memorizing a bunch of formulas. If you understand the why, the what is much easier.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
what program would you recommend for starting out? I know there some free resources, Is there a Good site or program were you can plug in your Panels-strings-if your going micro or Dc-dc converter- wire size, ecttt just to check to make sure you got everything.
As soon as I pass my test and get certified I am pushing this around here like nuts so want to have a program that will stream line it if possible, estimating would be nice since being new I don't want to take a beating on the first couple ones.

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Solar Design and Installation Professional
Try creating a spreadsheet in Excel or Google Sheets, you can put into comments the principles that go into a design, like Temperature corrected Voc, string lengths to voltage, Max backfed breaker size using 120% rule, etc, and then enter the formulas into cells to do the calculation for you. Add the parameters of a few common modules you might find in stock at a distributor like Soligent. Start with basics and add to it, and as you go it will reinforce the learning and in the end you will have a valuable design tool that is yours. Create your own rather than look for finished tools online and you will know and retain a lot more.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
I agree. The ugly books are great! I am commenting just incase someone has a reference book I can also look into.

I just don't like googling everything because Solar for some reason has a bunch of DIY forum stuff and I have a hard time trusting all of that.

ggunn

Occupation
I have been designing PV systems for more than 15 years, and I do every max and min string length, voltage drop, etc. calculation from first principles by hand with a calculator. It doesn't take long, it keeps me in touch with the fundamentals, and when I get an answer I know that it is correct.

ggunn

Occupation
I have been designing PV systems for more than 15 years, and I do every max and min string length, voltage drop, etc. calculation from first principles by hand with a calculator. It doesn't take long, it keeps me in touch with the fundamentals, and when I get an answer I know that it is correct.
That said, I do use an on line calculator for conduit fill. I tested it with a few calculations by hand to check its accuracy.

ggunn

Occupation
That said, I do use an on line calculator for conduit fill. I tested it with a few calculations by hand to check its accuracy.
One more thing about that - if 2kV PV wire is not shown in the calculator, #10 is approximately the same as THWN-2 #6 and #8 is about the same as THWN-2 #4.