math help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliff B

I am studying for my supervisors license and I have two math problems I would like help with.
1) Max primary overcurrent protection allowed for 2.8% impendance 500Kva 480 x 208/120 3phase transformer how do I slove for this?
2) The maximum ampacity rating of 4in x .5 in copper bus bar 4ft long installed in an auxiliary gutter I know it's 1000amp/inches squared but how do I set up the problem

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
I am studying for my supervisors license and I have two math problems I would like help with.
1) Max primary overcurrent protection allowed for 2.8% impendance 500Kva 480 x 208/120 3phase transformer how do I slove for this?
2) The maximum ampacity rating of 4in x .5 in copper bus bar 4ft long installed in an auxiliary gutter I know it's 1000amp/inches squared but how do I set up the problem

#1 - Transformer is under 600V, so Table 450.3(B) applies. Now, since the transformer current is 9A or more, you have 2 choices, Primary only, and primary and secondary protection. The one that achieves the higher setting is both primary and secondary protection, 250%. So, to calculate the primary OCP just determine the current on the 480V side, then multiply by 250%. The 2.8% impedance for this question is to try and confuse you, regarding Note 3.

#2 - This is a cross sectional area units problem, in. x in. - sqin, so 4 x 0.5 = 2 sqin that is the cross sectional area. If the value of 1000A/sqin is correct, then simply multiply 2 x 1000 = 2000A (the sqin cancel). The fact it is 4ft long has no barring on the cross sectional area. It could be 5000ft long and it still can handle 2000A.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I will leave this for the smart guys.

I probably should leave this also but here goes.. Figure the sq. in of the bus-- 4x.5= 2 sq. in. I don't see the 4' coming into play

I guess I was too slow- got distracted and should have checked.

Lady Engineer

If the Xfmer has overload, that's when you worry about impedence. I would just do: 500/.831 x 2.5 or (500,000/(1.732 x 480V)) x 2.50 and that should give you the answer for the primary. Like kingpb said, that is just do confuse you. Most standard transformers don't go over 6% impedence when rated 600V or less. Usually larger oil filled xfmrs might be over 6%, depending on the size.

kwired

Electron manager

Pretty stiff questions even for contractor/masters exams don't you all think?

First question maybe not so bad, but why throw in the impedance to confuse people?

I never understood why you would use trickery to fool people on these exams. Ask simple questions. Don't throw in a bunch of crap in the question that has nothing to do with the subject of the question.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Pretty stiff questions even for contractor/masters exams don't you all think?

First question maybe not so bad, but why throw in the impedance to confuse people?

I never understood why you would use trickery to fool people on these exams. Ask simple questions. Don't throw in a bunch of crap in the question that has nothing to do with the subject of the question.

I remember a question about lightning arrestors (well most of it) that asked how many were needed for a 3 ph system when lighting storms frequent the area?

Status
Not open for further replies.