max. equipment ground wire allowed for 20A, 208V/1PH outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

Anyone know what is max. ground wire size can be terminated into 208V/1PH/20A outlet grounding terminal? One client wants to use #6 ground wire even we said code allows #12G. (this outlet serves IT equipment)

iwire

Staff member
Anyone know what is max. ground wire size can be terminated into 208V/1PH/20A outlet grounding terminal? One client wants to use #6 ground wire even we said code allows #12G. (this outlet serves IT equipment)

Putting aside that this is an ridiculous request by the customer ....

Likely 10 AWG for standard 15 & 20 amp receptacles.

You might be able to use a ring terminal crimp on the 6AWG but what would you use as the box to leave enough room to fit it in.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would guess that a #10 is the largest conductor for a standard 20 amp device. I've never seen a 20 amp device tha can take up to a #6 EGC unless you used some sort of fork terminal on the #6 to connect to the screw.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Putting aside that this is an ridiculous request by the customer ....

There is no such thing as a ridiculous request by a customer as long as it is accompanied by a P.O. to cover the cost.

We get requests pretty regularly for putting ground lugs in control panels to accept a #2 wire.

Even those fed by a single 15A 115V branch circuit.

It is their money. If they want to run a #2 EGC, why would I care? As far as I am concerned, I don't care if they ever run any EGC at all. As long as they pay their bill.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I will be contrary and say there is no max as you may have to run #6 or even larger depending on voltage drop. If you increase the #12 ungrounded conductors to #6 for voltage drop then the egc must also be #6

Status
Not open for further replies.