Max wire size on breaker termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

philly

I have a situation where due to voltage drop I need to upsize cable and terminate #6 wire on a 15A breaker in a 120/208V panelboard. I may be able to reduce to #8 and still be ok with VD.

What is typically maximum permissible or feasible wire size that can be terminated on a 15A breaker? Load is actually only about 5A and individually fused at load location so it is possible to increase breaker size to accomadate required wire size to account for voltage drop.

Curious to hear from others what the common approach here is.

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The max wire size differs by brand and should be listed on the breaker… I’ve seen some go up to #8 while others max out at 10… I would check the listing on the breaker… The item Fed B listed would fix the issue fairly easy and cost effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philly

Thanks for the responses. Are the pigtail and reducing lug solutions mentioned above something that would typically be considered during design process or more of a field fix when the issue was missed during the design?

Since this situation is still in the design process and have options for addressing was just curious if these were more viable options than trying to increase breaker size etc..

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Thanks for the responses. Are the pigtail and reducing lug solutions mentioned above something that would typically be considered during design process or more of a field fix when the issue was missed during the design?

Since this situation is still in the design process and have options for addressing was just curious if these were more viable options than trying to increase breaker size etc..
You might want to make a note saying the installer may need to make accomodations based on field conditions, so you don't get hit with delays and change orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.