Maxed Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

__dan

Not sure of the age on this laptop but its on its second drive.
You can type "system info" in search and get the hardware build list, cpu, memory. Then Google the cpu and probably get what year it dates from. CPU's have been pretty good since Intel changed from the Core series to I5 I7. The first I5's are 10+ years old now. It's probably ddr3 memory and SATA hard drive which have been good hardware. If it's from before the I5 I7 series, it's really old. Should be a dual core cpu at least.

The new AMD chips have been great laptop chips and the next gen will probably be a nice step up. If you could, waiting a year or two for the next gen AMD, plus waiting for the chip shortage to turn to surplus, buying new can be very inexpensive. Right now Intel has been behind on their process fab technology, but that just means behind AMD and TSMC, actual improvements year to year have been good.

I'm the type to keep things forever when I can, but I'm also from the generation that the first computers just did not do what you needed them to. We were usually planning the next build when the opportunity became available. I was running Neoticker on the first generation AMD single core first gigacycle cpu and the realtime data would just crush it. Neoticker dates from the 90's seems to have been not updated since about 2000. I'm always kind of surprised when it runs on new hardware.

I avoid running antivirus as just more spyware and would never go to Linkin, Facebook, but I notice the X1C gen 3 is slowing down. Not as bad as the Win 7 machines which are hurting.

Suzuki360

Touched by the current.
Occupation
Master Electrician
My laptop SS hard drive is getting full. It still does what I want and I really don't want to buy a new one. One of my misc programs will search and find duplicate files. How do I know which one to let it delete? Any simple answers?
I apologize if the answer is already in here somewhere, im being lazy and skipping to the end.
I not too long ago installed an SSD hard drive (solid state) for faster response and reliability. I moved my windows 10 OS, SAGE 100C Accounting, Bluebeam Revu, Vision EBM and T&M software etc. etc. Anyway, i started seeing the new C drive was RED meaning its full and close to MAX Capacity. I discovered that the backup settings for each program keeps multiple versions available, some nightly backups. and windows creates backups at certain intervals. And the Western Digital and SeaGate software for the 2 hard drives create entire drive backups. It was slam full of 5 to 10 versions of everything i ever did or looked at.

Try looking into that some, as well as the numerous free cloud drives that are available, i.e. MS OneDrive and Share Point, Google Drive, Box, Drop Box, Amazon Cloud etc. I will sy i pay for the Microsoft business 365 suite and i can honestly say everything we have that's a work related file, plans bids pics all of it have been on the MS OneDrive from day one, i can access it from any computer on the planet, i have never come close to Max capacity and its amazing the stuff that comes with that package for 15 bucks a month including domains, web site and software galore. it's worth a peek i promise.

Suzuki360

Touched by the current.
Occupation
Master Electrician
The OS is installed on the drive. Replacing the drive means reinstalling the OS, etc. If its Windows 10 can you run Disk Cleanup?
Quick note, I purchased a 1T SSD drive from Seagate, it comes with cloning software that will move the Windows OS system from the old drive to the new one. It was a little scary to me at 1st being an electrician not an IT guy, but it was actually pretty simple and failsafe with just a couple of clicks and it's worked like it was there all along. Good luck brother

sparkie1

Occupation
Master Electrician
So this is way subjective, and we have no clue of knowing what you have where. One option available to you is to buy a larger hard drive and use something like Clonezilla or the cloning software that comes with the new drive. The deal here is that without being familiar more familiar with your operating system, you can easily break it. It can be tricky knowing what you can or can't delete.

That being said, one useful tool that will show you what directories are taking up so much space so that you can start tackling them is WinDirStat. I've been using it for a long time and it works quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.