Maximum Breaker Height

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD12297

Guys, I know the maximum height for a breaker in a panel is 6 ft 6 in but I dont know which article of the code its in. I was looking in 110.26 and 230 but cant seem to find it. Maybe I skimmed past it. One of my mechanics disagrees with me and I need back up from the NEC.

Thanks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
240.24(A). And it is 6' 7" because the NEC's primary units of measure are metric (i.e., the limit is actually 2 meters).

MD12297

Thanks Charlie. These forums and the internet are a valuable resource. I often wonder how hard it was back in "the day" when my father was an electrician.

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Thanks Charlie. These forums and the internet are a valuable resource. I often wonder how hard it was back in "the day" when my father was an electrician.

Remember, it wasn't all that long ago you could put the code book in your back pocket (take a look at the 1993). Back in the day you didn't have to sift through a 1000 page telephone book size NEC that has many parts changed drastically since the previous 1000 page NEC.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Remember, it wasn't all that long ago you could put the code book in your back pocket (take a look at the 1993). Back in the day you didn't have to sift through a 1000 page telephone book size NEC that has many parts changed drastically since the previous 1000 page NEC.

Yes, but between 1978 and 1983, 11% of home structural fires were caused by "Electrical Distribution" and in 2005-2009, it was down to 6%. So book size doubled, number of fires almost cut in half... decent trade off.

Status
Not open for further replies.