Maximum Conduit Fill - Generator Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
We installed a home stand-by generator using 4-#6 AWG wire. The generator is capable of producing a maximum of 62.5 Amp @ 240 Volts. One of the #6 wires was a ground. The wire was pulled through 1-1/4" rigid PVC pipe. Did we exceed the maximum conductor fill limitation? Is there anything special about stand-by generator wiring which gets around the max. fill limits or ????

iwire

Staff member
Re: Maximum Conduit Fill - Generator Install

Pipe fill sounds fine, I might have gone up a size on the conductors but they are passable with a 70 amp or less breaker.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Wire fill is the same for a generator as any other application. Wire fill is given in NEC Chapter 9.
You taked the cross sectional area of the conductors and total, you can't exceed 40%. You didn't specify what type of conductor was used.
I am curious as to why you are asking this question. If you are an installer then you need to be familar with the NEC requirements.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

What makes you think that you have too many conductors in the conduit? Do you have a code book?
Don

pierre

There are many in our industry who are not familar with the proper procedure on sizing conduit and wire size/ampacity adjustments. If this poster is an installer/electrician lets help him, no?

Annex C in the 2002 has different types of conduits and pipe fill permitted if the conductor size of all of the conductors is the same size. Otherwise you will use tables 4,5, and possibly 8 for the calculations necessary. I believe Mike Holt has some of these calculations on his website.
Good Luck and keep educating yourself

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.