Maximum meters allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telaid

I have to supply power to a unit on the roof of a building. The power will have its own meter located in the electrical room of the building. The room has an existing square d 1200 amp main, 3phase 240 v multi-meter center. Adjacent to the breaker are two meter cabinets, each containing 7 meters. The meters are labeled for the suites they serve. There is only the 1200 amp disconnect. How many meters are allowed? im wondering if i will be violating article 220 if i install another meter on the wall next to these cabinets. If each suite in the building is running single phase, and the service is three phase, does that mean that there can be a total of 18 meters? Is each phase considered a service?

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
The NEC is not concerned with how many meters you have.

All that matters to the NEC is the calculated load and how many service disconnects you have.

The power co may have limits to how many meters of the same characteristics for one customer at one address.

Telaid

thanks iwire,

In 220 though, it keeps talking about a maximum of six service disconnecting means for each service. It seems in my case then that the single 1200 amp disconnect serving the meter panels is counted as a single service disconnect for the entire complex?? And if i install a new meter/disconnect there would now be 2 total service disconnects?

thanks

benaround

Telaid,

What will happen if the 1200a disc. is in the 'open' position, will you still

have power to your proposed meter/disc.?

That's why it's still one service.

e57

You will have a single main disconnect... (1200A) The others are all secondary, the Service conductors end at the first disconnect in your case.

The "no more than six" rule is what I think you are talking about? You would need 6 Main disconnects or less - you only have one....

robbietan

If each suite in the building is running single phase, and the service is three phase, does that mean that there can be a total of 18 meters? Is each phase considered a service?

the utilities usually count this as sub-metering, not service. and can have as many as needed

Telaid

Thanks All,

Thats what I wanted to verify. My new meter will connect before the 1200 A main and have its own disconnect. So the new total service disconnects in the room will be two.

Status
Not open for further replies.