Maximum panelboard/circuit breaker hieght?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

Is there a maximum height for circuit breakers in panelboards?
(I looked but could not find anything - I may be missing it)

Former school has a panelboard on a stage and they are removing the stage so the panelbd will be maybe 3 feet higher.
They perhaps should or want to lower it, but do they need to?

nickelec

6'7" to the center line of the main, or highest breaker handle if there is no main

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

nickelec

240.24 but read the exceptions to see if your situation applies to any of them

kwired

Electron manager
6'7" to the center line of the main, or highest breaker handle if there is no main

Main doesn't have to be on the top, it is just 6-7 to highest handle - center line of that handle I believe.

Several code cycles ago they changed it from 6-6 to 6-7. 6-7 happens to be right about 2.0 meters.

nickelec

Main doesn't have to be on the top, it is just 6-7 to highest handle - center line of that handle I believe.

Several code cycles ago they changed it from 6-6 to 6-7. 6-7 happens to be right about 2.0 meters.
Right I did say main should have just said highest breaker.

olc

Thanks.

I had that paragraph circled so I must have looked at it before. (memory is the second thing that goes)

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

1978 I think, because I worked for Allen Bradley at the time and on A-B Motor Control Centers the disconnect operator handle of a 1 Space Factor bucket, when installed in the top space, is 6'7" from the ground. So up until that time if you mounted a 1SF unit there, you got a little formed wire "dongle" hanging off of the handle to make it below 6'6". Once the NEC changed to 2 meters, they no longer had to add that (unless there was a housekeeping pad).

kwired

Electron manager
1978 I think, because I worked for Allen Bradley at the time and on A-B Motor Control Centers the disconnect operator handle of a 1 Space Factor bucket, when installed in the top space, is 6'7" from the ground. So up until that time if you mounted a 1SF unit there, you got a little formed wire "dongle" hanging off of the handle to make it below 6'6". Once the NEC changed to 2 meters, they no longer had to add that (unless there was a housekeeping pad).
Later than that, I was only 10 years old then and never new what NEC was at that time. I want to say NEC changed from 6-6 to 6-7 (2 meters) in about 2002 or 2005. I believe they also started putting SI units first and inches second with same edition whenever a dimension was mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.