Maxium conduit run between pull boxes, NEC Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

hl53us

Could anyone tell me what is the maximum conduit run (length) between pull boxes per NEC code? And what page of the NEC code book its on? I have the 2002 version of the NEC code book.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There is no maximum length, if you have a means to get a rope or pulling means from one end to the other the length of the rope or pulling means is the only limit.

The issue is not having more than 360 deg of bend between pull points, see any of the conduit articles, 3xx.26

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is also a limit based on the pulling calculations. It does no good to pull on the conductor with so much force that it breaks, or that you crush the inslulation as a result of excessive sidewall pressure when pulling around bends.
Don

celtic

jrannis said:
For some reason I thought it was 500'.

If you can produce a code article to support what you think, then we will all know what you thought :smile:

mdshunk

Functionally, pulling tension calcs and number of bends aside, the limit is often based on several more practical factors:
  • length of the pull rope to be used
  • amount of space available to payoff the conductors
  • amount of space available to re-reel or stack conductors at the next pull point
  • amount of labor available to make the pull
  • amount and type of equipment available to make the pull

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Air compressor - High CFM? Check.

Bucket of Jetline? Check.

"Stand clear the gear!"

DISTANCE UNLIMITED!

peter d

don_resqcapt19 said:
There is also a limit based on the pulling calculations. It does no good to pull on the conductor with so much force that it breaks, or that you crush the inslulation as a result of excessive sidewall pressure when pulling around bends.
Don

Mention pulling calculations to the average field electrician, and even the above average electrician, and you will most likely get the "deer in the headlights" response. I'm not saying it's right, but there is widespread ignorance of their importance. When it comes right down to it, the mentality of pulling seems to be "Get er done!"

I had no clue about them before I came here, and then I realized I was probably involved in a few pulls that were...shall we say....a bit over the line of sidewall pressure. ;)

mdshunk

Rockyd said:
Air compressor - High CFM? Check.

Bucket of Jetline? Check.

"Stand clear the gear!"

DISTANCE UNLIMITED!
Okay, now your jet line is three miles away. Now what are you going to do? Got three miles of pull rope and a Caterpillar tugger?

Rockyd

Occupation
1/4 mile on a super tugger (rated 8000 pound) is the most I've ever had to go for distance in a pipe. Beyond that, I would hope is in cable tray (or a utilidor). Beyond that - string an overhead poleline in!

Rockyd

Occupation
Come on Marc...No such thing as an impossible pull....

wiredmoose.jpg

mdshunk

Rockyd said:
Come on Marc...No such thing as an impossible pull....
I guess, but your average electrical contractor doesn't have the Hogg-Davis puller that they use when they string up those pole lines. I'm not sure what the pulling capability on those is, but I'm sure it's in the 10's of thousands of pounds.

Rockyd

Occupation
Most oil patch electrical in our neck of the woods is big boys. First hint is that they are self insured. So if they bid it, plan on being prepared to rig it! I'd tell you more, but some stuff is just too much on the edge of reality...

This is the company I'm working for on the latest project...CMSI

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have been in on 800' + pulls of 600 kcmil in conduit, and 2,000' runs of 500 kcmil 4 conductor with ground MV cable in cable tray.

We had multiple tuggers rigged for these particular MV pulls.

I have used tuggers, pick up trucks, diggers, line trucks, backhoes, trackhoes, and cranes to make pulls, what ever it takes.

Roger

electricalperson

roger said:
I have been in on 800' + pulls of 600 kcmil in conduit, and 2,000' runs of 500 kcmil 4 conductor with ground MV cable in cable tray.

We had multiple tuggers rigged for these particular MV pulls.

I have used tuggers, pick up trucks, diggers, line trucks, backhoes, trackhoes, and cranes to make pulls, what ever it takes.

Roger
sounds like a fun day. long pulls with those large conductors are never easy no matter how many pullers are set up

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.